Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about sewing machine.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-sewing-machine-t79703.html)

belmer 11-30-2010 09:29 AM

Hi everyone,
My Sister in law asked me what is the best kind of sewing machine she could get for around $175-$375 that could do every day mending and she wants to start making her Granddaughter some clothes, however, today she asked what is the best kind to hem jeans with. For some reason I'm just not able to give her an honest opinion. Could some of you help me out here.
What is your opinion and experience, I have used my Elna for hemming jeans with, but my machine is pretty heavy duty and I usually use a# 18 needle for jeans.

hobo2000 11-30-2010 09:47 AM

I like Brothers for this type of work. Get one around $250.00 and that will do almost everything for her.

akrogirl 11-30-2010 09:48 AM

A lot depends on how fancy your SIL wants to get with her granddaughter's clothing. An older machine like a Singer 201, Pfaff 30, Necchi BU, or one of the vintage Japanese machines will probably cope better with the jeans than most of the modern machines.

However, your SIL should be able to find one of these older machines for under $100, which would leave her with money to buy a modern machine as well, if she would like to have some decorative stitches and automated button-holes etc.

scowlkat 11-30-2010 10:02 AM

I completely agree with akrogirl about most older machines handling denim better than the newer ones, however, if she really wants to purchase a new machine, check out Janomes - from a dealer not Hancocks. They are really powerful. The #1 dealer in the country for Janome (according to Janome not just me!) is Ken's Sewing Center in Muscle Shoals. They ship nationwide and have wonderful deals. They are also really good about not recommending something you don't need just to have you buy a more expensive machine. I think the phone number is 1-877-kenssew but you can find it on the web.

sahm4605 11-30-2010 10:14 AM

I love my simple Janome. I think to start out with, one of the "lower" end machines would be good for her. Something with a couple of different stitches. She can also get a universal foot that will be kinda like a serger for the Janomes. I have one actually. got it from my hubby's grandma. I got my Janome used for 100 and it works great. I also have a singer. If she is not a sewer or has never really sewn before I would suggest something on the "cheap" side that way if she doesn't like sewing, (hehe) she will not have put too much money into this. She can always up-grade as she gets more comfortable with sewing and wants to do more than straight stitches.

mosquitosewgirl 11-30-2010 10:17 AM

Janome. Love mine. It made me love sewing again...when a bad machine had once upon a time taken ALL the joy away. So, while I understand sahm4605's view, I also know that a bad machine can destroy a person's desire to learn and explore.

MadQuilter 11-30-2010 10:19 AM

For heavy seams you can always use a seam buster or a thing-a-ma-jig. It is used to adjust the pressure foot height BEFORE and AFTER the thick seam.

mosquitosewgirl 11-30-2010 10:20 AM

Have her check this: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=3106

mosquitosewgirl 11-30-2010 10:24 AM

Ken's has a number of refurbished machines at great prices that will do everything she wants.

Bobbin along 11-30-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
For heavy seams you can always use a seam buster or a thing-a-ma-jig. It is used to adjust the pressure foot height BEFORE and AFTER the thick seam.

I totally agree. I sold the lowest price Viking to a guy to make sails for his boat--you just have to know how. a #18 jeans or top-stitch needle is great--they are extra sharpand strong. sew slowly, and use a tool called a hump-jumper, or a jean-a-ma-jig. It isn't the fabric or the thickness that breaks the needle, it is the tilting of the presser foot as it goes over the big 'lump.' The foot tips so far frontward or backward, that the needle hits the foot, and presto! broken needle! I know there are people who certainly will disagree with me, but i would never buy a "little plastic sewing machine for $69.00" Check a dealer for tuned-up old machines--better every time! Good luck, and let me know how you do! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: