Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about shipping - would you be upset if ...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-shipping-would-you-upset-if-t62487.html)

Favorite Fabrics 09-01-2010 05:20 AM

I was reading another post about shipping charges and it got me to thinking.

In that particular case, the issue that started it all was the purchase of a bundle of FQs - six yards in all - and whether it would all have fit into a USPS flat-rate envelope.

Many FQ bundles are beautifully packaged by the fabric manufacturer, tied with a ribbon or plastic-wrapped. But the bundle might be too "chunky" to fit into a flat-rate envelope.

So my question is... would you be upset if your bundle was taken apart before shipping, so that it would fit in a flat-rate envelope? It wouldn't be as pretty. But shipping costs could be lower.

dakotamaid 09-01-2010 05:41 AM

No, I would not mind at all. I prefer the cheaper shipping.

sunflower126 09-01-2010 05:43 AM

Not at all, I would prefer the lower shipping. You remove those extras anyway. You can always tie a ribbon around the bundle if you want to keep it together.

amandasgramma 09-01-2010 05:44 AM

Cheaper shipping means I can buy more fabric! Who cares about the "pretty bundle"...I'd end up taking it apart anyway!

ckcowl 09-01-2010 05:49 AM

i believe any shop should do what ever they can to offer their customers the lowest shipping rates available. if that means taking off the 'pretty-ribbon' then so be it. i am pretty strict with myself when it comes to ordering and shipping costs. i only order from shops that offer free shipping at $35-$50; i can always spend that much, if the free isn't until $100+ then i look elsewhere. i have to be to the point where i have to have it, can not find it anywhere else and still look for the lowest shipping costs i can find; if the shop has what i consider rediculous shipping policies (such as $7.95 for a book that costs $5) i not only do not buy it but i will not even look at their shop. i was ordering needles for my long-arm and the company used a flat rate system so 2 packs of needles that would go in a normal first class envelope with a 44cent stamp showed up with $7.95 shipping because the cost of the needles were over $10...so i called them...they did ship my needles for $1...
it does seem like some on-line shops make their money with their shipping fees, not from me though

sewmuch 09-01-2010 05:49 AM

No, I wouldn't mind....hate paying shipping charges...

pocoellie 09-01-2010 05:57 AM

Wouldn't bother me, I mean, I'm going to take them out of the bundle anyway, right?

Minda 09-01-2010 05:58 AM

I would rather have the cheaper shipping charge, unless it's for a gift.

sewmuchmore 09-01-2010 06:40 AM

I agree flat rate is perfect I have gotten up to 6 yards in a flat rate envelope. We all have to watch and save were we can. :thumbup: :thumbup:

crashnquilt 09-01-2010 07:06 AM

Personally, I prefer cheaper shipping. But if the item is to be a gift that would be different. I know I can never tie the ribbons and make them look pretty. So, that could prove to be a bit of a problem. Would there be a way you could give the customer the option?