Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Showing Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-showing-quilts-t269192.html)

Quilter 65 08-25-2015 07:14 AM

Question about Showing Quilts

I have a question about the definition of "own design". Entered a show where I placed one of my quilts in an own design class. By my definition, it fit. But when I got the score sheets, the score was reduced from perfect to 80 because I entered it in the wrong class. I am not mad about anything--so let me make that clear. And the quilt surprisingly did get a red ribbon even with the score reduction. This was my first time to do this and I am completely clueless. I am grateful to the judges who took the time to write out comments and suggestions which are so helpful to me for future improvement, but they offered no further explanation about the wrong class notation. Everything in life is a learning experience for me. But I didn't have a picture to go by, except the one in my own head, nor a pattern nor anything else. I did use standard blocks such as a pinwheel, etc., but is this the problem? Do I need to have come up with a totally different block than anyone has done?? I thought, erroneously maybe, that it was the configuration that maybe made up an own design concept. I did use part of the fabric to make a center medallion and went from there. Maybe it should have been in a medallion class??? Are there any judges or someone in the know that can help me out so I don't do this again? Any insight would be so appreciated. I am honored to have won the ribbons I did which are really encouraging to keep trying. Thank you because I KNOW someone here will have an answer for me.

Bree123 08-25-2015 07:25 AM

The ones I've seen for AQS Quilt Week that are in the Innovative Category (original design) do not include traditional blocks. Use of line, color & composition are considered when determining if it goes in that category & I wouldn't think that any combination of traditional blocks would likely result in being considered an Innovative Design... but I know there are people who have judged quilt shows here so hopefully you will hear from some of them.

Still, it sounds like you made really beautiful quilts & have a lot to be proud of!

Onebyone 08-25-2015 08:05 AM

All the quilts I've seen in the own design all look like art quilts.

ManiacQuilter2 08-25-2015 10:56 AM

I agree with the other post. An original design has to be totally original so most are art quilts.

dunster 08-25-2015 11:22 AM

You said it was "own design", not "original design", not that I know the difference between the two, but IMHO "own design" fits what you did, while "original design" **might** be interpreted as something not made up of standard blocks, such as medallions and pinwheels. It's too bad the judge didn't clarify. And another judge might have had an entirely different opinion. All you can really do is read the rules that are provided for each category (they aren't always easy to interpret) and put the quilt where you think it fits. Congratulations on your ribbon!

Quilter 65 08-27-2015 08:33 AM

Thank you. If it needs to be an art quilt, then I probably never will enter. I see these wonderful art quilts, and there ain't one bone in my body that could do that! I will concentrate on other classes.