Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about SID starting end ending (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-sid-starting-end-ending-t218188.html)

Ranchwife 04-03-2013 08:50 PM

Question about SID starting end ending

I am doing a quilt as you go method to piece together my log cabin quilt. I've decided to SID around each round of blocks, as opposed to each log. The back of the square will look like 4 squares nested inside each other. My question is about starting and stopping each round. Do I back stitch when I start and end on each round, or is there another method that I am unaware of? I don't want to leave the ends unfinished because the thread will eventually pull out and the quilt will be a mess. The is my first big quilt using machine quilting and I don't want to mess up because it is pretty dang perfect. If I was hand quilting this, I would hide the thread ends in the middle of the quilt. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

QuiltnNan 04-04-2013 02:38 AM

it depends on how fussy you are about the look of the back of your quilt. if it's for show quality, then you should knot and bury all of the ends. if it's for donation, then just backstitch. if your machine has one of those buttons that automatically anchor the ends, that would be a good choice.

toolazy 04-04-2013 02:48 AM

On my few quilts to date, I've done as QuiltnNan says -- couple backstitches most places, leave a tail to run in and knot off by hand in a few.

Daylesewblessed 04-04-2013 04:01 AM

I backstitich or if I am ending where there was a previous start of the stitching, then I just sew over the beginning stitches. When it is time to clip, I cut closely the tail on the top side first and then pull on the bottom thread, which draws the itty bitty end that might be left on the top down into the sandwich. I might be able to see small ends on the underside of the quilt, but nothing at all on the top side. Certainly burying each end would be neater.

EasyPeezy 04-04-2013 09:56 AM

I start with 3 tiny stitches then increase the stitch length and end with 3 tiny stitches.
Then I tie and bury all my threads. I can sleep quietly after that. :)

Aria 04-04-2013 11:02 AM

I know that I will never enter my quilts in a show, and anyone I give a quilt to, won't care. So, since I've sewn garments for many years, and always back stitched without anything coming undone, I backstitch my quilts. I don't ever hide my ends.

ckcowl 04-04-2013 11:41 AM

i do 2 or 3 tiny stitches in place to anchor a line of stitching if it's not going to be crossed (which anchors it)
i've entered many quilts in shows/contests & even won a few ribbons/prizes...this method has never been stated as a bad thing- or caused me to not receive a good (review)

Ranchwife 04-04-2013 11:48 AM

Well, I've decided on overlaping the starting and ending stitches, then back stitching two stitches, and then forward 2. It looks fine from the front and back. This quilt is for my son's bed and since it will be used heavily and washed periodically, I decided to do the back stitching. Thank you all for the suggestions and help! I do appreciate it!

newbee3 04-04-2013 11:56 AM

you can just make stitches real small to end and start then that should hold them would not have to bury the threads