Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about thread and age...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-thread-age-t21428.html)

beachlady 06-16-2009 07:45 AM

We are in the process of cleaning out the attic and I have found thread up there that has been there for 16+ years. Is it safe to use, or should I chuck it? Attic would have been cold in the winter and hot in summer, but with an automatic fan that would come on with hot temperatures. It has been in plactic containers and looks ok, but would hate to use it in a quilt and have it fall apart.

I know all you quilting experts will have the answer. DH is making a dump run tomorrow, so would love some opinions by then. Thank you all very much!!

bearisgray 06-16-2009 07:55 AM

have you tried breaking some threads? try some new thread and see how the old compares?

old quilts have old thread in them - - -

amma 06-16-2009 07:59 AM

I would test it like bearisgray said, I was given some that was that old or older and it was literally rotten.

Prism99 06-16-2009 08:29 AM

I have heard that old thread is sometimes dried out and brittle, and that it can be re-hydrated by placing in a plastic bag and freezing. Haven't done this myself, though, and it would not restore thread that has actually rotted.

Mousie 06-16-2009 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I have heard that old thread is sometimes dried out and brittle, and that it can be re-hydrated by placing in a plastic bag and freezing. Haven't done this myself, though, and it would not restore thread that has actually rotted.

I have heard of this too, and I haven't done it, either.
on another note...are these threads, on wooden spools? For some reason I just think of them as keepers. Reminds me of the good old days...whatever those were, lol! :D

Darlene 06-16-2009 09:16 AM

I have used old thread lately but it wasn't in an attic just in my sewing box. So far it seems okay.

sewmuch 06-16-2009 09:30 AM

When my Mom died she left lots of unused thread on the wooden spools.
I have used it on things that I knew wouldn't be around a long time and
let the grands use it for their projects, seemed fine.
However, if making a quilt I use new thread.

MadQuilter 06-16-2009 11:15 AM

Get a coupon and buy new. The heartache of having your hard work shred because of brittle thread is not worth it. That's what I think. Now if it doesn't break too easy, you could use it for basting.

azdesertrat 06-16-2009 11:39 AM

i would keep it just as an display item, if it is on wooden spools,but not to use for sewing.not worth your quilts coming apart because of old thread

beachlady 06-16-2009 11:50 AM

Thanks for your replies. Do not think it is so old that it is on wooden spools - do have some of that though. This thread was used in my leotard making business and I have decided not to take a chance on it and it will go to the dump tomorrow. I have every color under the sun from connecting threads, so am fine color wise.