Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about thread color while quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-thread-color-while-quilting-t275851.html)

lots2do 02-18-2016 07:10 AM

Question about thread color while quilting

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Bear with me, I'm going to try to post a few pictures for the first time.
Anyway, I've finished this little quilt top and have only quilted one pass so far. I am really not sure about my gray thread. I kind of want to switch to coral in this section and switch back to gray where the coral fabric isn't. Probably as clear as mud...
So, what do you think? Should I just stick with all gray or quilt the gray and go back and quilt with coral thread? Is that a weird idea? Does anyone ever do that?
I should add that this is a practice quilt for me and that it was not made with anyone in mind. Certainly not a baby quilt for a grandchild in the future...
Thanks for your thoughts,
lots2do

EasyPeezy 02-18-2016 07:37 AM

If it was me I would stick with the gray because it's a neutral color.
Having said that I'm not an expert in colors...far from. I struggle
with colors all the time. I have the same dilemma with a red and white
quilt but I'm closer to deciding what I want based on the backing.

mamagrande 02-18-2016 07:38 AM

My personal opinion, because I am lazy to change thread would stay with the gray, but since it's a practice quilt, I would change threads like you said. This would let you practice with different ideas and colors.

Very nice work so far, love that coral.

Tartan 02-18-2016 07:43 AM

The grey looks nice. What colour is the back? Does the grey look nice on it?

DOTTYMO 02-18-2016 07:45 AM

I would stay with grey as it units the two main colours.

ManiacQuilter2 02-18-2016 08:00 AM

I think your selection of color looks fine. Good luck with getting it quilted.

Kwiltr 02-18-2016 08:02 AM

I think the grey looks nice on the coral, but if you want to change colours go for it. If you are practicing on a quilt, matching thread colours is far more forgiving than contrasting colours which can show any little hiccup. The other consideration, is being able to travel from one area to the next with your colour choices in thread, because what is really a pain is having to start and stop all the time. Your diagonal quilting fits the bill, unless you plan to cross hatch, then you're in trouble ;). I've changed thread colour on my quilts for various reasons, it's all personal preference on what you want to see :)

rryder 02-18-2016 08:09 AM

I think your grey thread looks nice with the coral and if you're doing an allover design you might want to stick with the grey. It'll save you having to break thread. On the other hand, I've been known to switch colors many times within a quilt if I'm doing some intricate FMQ and want the quilting to contrast with the piecing. Make sense?

Rob

maryb119 02-18-2016 08:31 AM

If you want to change threads, then change threads. I change threads a lot on both my DSM and my LA when I'm quilting. I use the thread color I think will look best.

pocoellie 02-18-2016 09:05 AM

Personally, I'd stick with the gray.