Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about trimming before adding binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-trimming-before-adding-binding-t158048.html)

blueangel 10-04-2011 06:35 PM

I trim the edges

soccertxi 10-04-2011 07:07 PM

I have been applying my binding on the top by long arm. Then I join the two free ends on the DSM and then trim. I had always trimmed 1st when I applied by DSM, so this is something new for me. I like not having to clean off my whole sewing table to be able to get the quilt under the needle. Who knew?!

Kristin in ME 10-04-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
You should leave at least a 1/4" of the batting sticking out from the top. This will help "stuff" the binding and make it firmer. Judges at quilt shows will look for a nice stuffed binding. Plus, if you don't have have your binding stuffed, it will fold in half and then it will start to wear along the edge and split, especially if it is washed a lot. Many antique quilts have split bindings just because they didn't fill the binding enough and they were used and washed a lot.

I trim the edges. But I didn't know all this! Guess I'll try it this way next time!

Carron 10-04-2011 08:22 PM

Thanks for sharing.

YukonViv 10-04-2011 08:26 PM

I trim my quilt (front, batting and backing) so I have a nice clean edge to work with. I use the french fold technique for binding. I use a 2 1/4 inch binding, fold in half and then sew my binding to the front of my quilt at 1/4 inch...so that the rough edges of the binding is along the edge of the quilt. Then I fold the my binding towards the back and blindstitch it in place by hand.

With this method there is no loose areas in the binding as it's wrapped around the full edge of the quilt.

dcarroll 10-04-2011 08:31 PM

I've always applied the binding and sew to the front by machine, then trim all the way around and then turn and hand sew it down to the back. I use double folded and usually trim to 3/8ths. My binding is always "stuffed" never knew any other way to do it.

Jim's Gem 10-04-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I trim the edges too.

Same here, I square up the corners and trim it all up. I sew my binding with about a 3/8" stitch and fold over and hand sew the back, filling the binding with batting.

yayaquilts 10-04-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
You should leave at least a 1/4" of the batting sticking out from the top. This will help "stuff" the binding and make it firmer. Judges at quilt shows will look for a nice stuffed binding. Plus, if you don't have have your binding stuffed, it will fold in half and then it will start to wear along the edge and split, especially if it is washed a lot. Many antique quilts have split bindings just because they didn't fill the binding enough and they were used and washed a lot.

Good advice...thanks for sharing.

Painiacs 10-04-2011 09:53 PM

Ii trim

Jim 10-04-2011 10:06 PM

I trim all mine and sew the binding on..never had a problem with a flat binding or not being "stuffed"...even when entered in a show its never been a problems for judges....so I will continue to trim