Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about two types of blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-two-types-blocks-t52016.html)

Leota 06-29-2010 07:47 PM

What is the difference between a Stack n Whack and a OBW?

littlehud 06-29-2010 07:49 PM

As far as I can tell......nothing. I could be wrong though.

ktbb 06-29-2010 07:56 PM

a stack and whack pays no attention to the precise designs in the fabrics and you purposely mix different fabrics to make up the block after you stack then whack them into the designated number of pieces.

A one block wonder uses the pattern in the fabric in a very precise manner, and only one fabric per quilt (from the patterns I've seen). the look of the various "blocks" comes from the precise cutting that is done, and sections of the fabric are stacked up so that the same design is on each piece of fabric and is lined up exactly so that you get the kaleidescope design.

There are also kaleidescope quilts, which are similar to the OBWs.

Does that help?

Honchey 06-29-2010 08:23 PM

They are the same. All the stack n whack books I have tell you that the all the layers have to match in design.

wvdek 06-29-2010 08:30 PM

The same thing I believe. COurse I have not made any so my opinion probably does not count :)

ktbb 06-29-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
They are the same. All the stack n whack books I have tell you that the all the layers have to match in design.

I stand corrected...sorry if I confused you...must be anothe name for what I'm thinking of.

Leota 06-30-2010 05:26 AM

Thank you for clarifying this for me.

BKrenning 06-30-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb

I stand corrected...sorry if I confused you...must be anothe name for what I'm thinking of.

I don't think you are wrong. I think the "Shuffle the Deck" blocks are also called Stack and Whack. Bethany Reynolds made the term "Stack 'n' Whack" very popular with her books using her method of making kaleidoscope blocks but it is also an accurate description for the "Shuffle the Deck" type, too.

All Thumbs 06-30-2010 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ktbb
a stack and whack pays no attention to the precise designs in the fabrics and you purposely mix different fabrics to make up the block after you stack then whack them into the designated number of pieces.

A one block wonder uses the pattern in the fabric in a very precise manner, and only one fabric per quilt (from the patterns I've seen). the look of the various "blocks" comes from the precise cutting that is done, and sections of the fabric are stacked up so that the same design is on each piece of fabric and is lined up exactly so that you get the kaleidescope design.

There are also kaleidescope quilts, which are similar to the OBWs.

Does that help?

Having tried both quilts, I tend to agree with KTBB's first comments but I too may be incorrect. I just know the seams on the back are entirely different than my kaleidscope and sack-n-whack project and the OBW is sewn together in strips and not blocks. Below is my successful OBW needing only borders to attach and finish and a photo of only one block for the stack-n-whack. I prefer the OneBlockWonder method.

OBW has all seams pressed open and pieces are small
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84882[/ATTACH]

Stack-n-Whack is larger pieces-seams pressed in one direction-then large blocks sewn together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84893[/ATTACH]

ktbb 06-30-2010 08:47 AM

[quote=BKrenning][quote=ktbb]

I think the "Shuffle the Deck" blocks are also called Stack and Whack. Bethany Reynolds made the term "Stack 'n' Whack" very popular with her books using her method of making kaleidoscope blocks but it is also an accurate description for the "Shuffle the Deck" type, too.

Because I was confused, I did some additional research...as said above, Bethany Reynolds used the term "Stack'n'Whack" to describe her technique which is very similar to the OBW. However, since then, many others have put out patterns using the same or similar technique and called it something similar. Buggy Barn patterns all use the stack/whack/switch technique, tho they don't officially call it that.

I guess the original SnW was very close to the OBW (or the other way around, I don't know who/which was first) and the terms seem to have been used as titles of books from their respective authors. SnW seems to have turned generic, while OBW still seems to be accepted as the specific block/design that was originally introduced.

Kind of like "Coke" and "Katsup"(don't know how to spell the brand name!), the terms are names for very specific items but have become so common that they are used generically to describe any brand that is similar.

Thanks for the question - it got me thinking and searching instead of just assuming.