Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about using pages from telephone book for paper piecing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-using-pages-telephone-book-paper-piecing-t201298.html)

newbee3 09-25-2012 10:45 AM

I got newspaper print from staples and it is pretty cheap it comes in big pieces so you cut it the size of printer paper I use rotary cutter so it is easy. Goes thru printer fine and it works great for pp

qltgrose 06-30-2016 06:34 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone will share their thoughts. I want to do a spiderweb strip pieced quilt. I have looked at Bonnie Hunters method and she says to piece on a white square of fabric. Is there some special reason to use paper first? Just to avoid the weight of the backing fabric? I just shudder at the work of tearing all the paper off :)

Onebyone 06-30-2016 06:41 PM

I won't keep old phone books or newspapers. I use MSQC foundation papers to tear away or Ricky Tims Stable Stuff if I want to leave it in. Foundation piecing is much different then paper piecing.

quiltingcandy 06-30-2016 06:47 PM

When I did the spiderweb quilt I used the MSQC papers. I don't think I would want to use fabric instead of the paper because of the seams being very crowded.

Jane Quilter 06-30-2016 06:48 PM

I use wash away plastic. I can write on it too, then sew, then wash away, starch, Iron and trim.

Tiggersmom 06-30-2016 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7590912)
I use wash away plastic. I can write on it too, then sew, then wash away, starch, Iron and trim.

Never heard of that Jane. Can you give us more information???? Where to buy, how does it wash away......as in dissolving....wash after its all quilted or each square. Thanks.

QuiltnLady1 06-30-2016 08:32 PM

Our newspaper has end rolls that they sell -- have to get there before the teachers get them, though. because they are great for kid crafts too.

ManiacQuilter2 07-01-2016 02:04 AM

I would be worried if any of the ink would rub off onto the fabric.

dorismae904 07-01-2016 02:57 AM

When I first did string piecing, I used newspaper squares. Ink made my hands dirty but didn't affect the blocks. I started to use very thin fabric for the background since I found I did not like tearing the paper from the backs of all the squares. Did I mention that paper bits were all over. Mine work fine with the fabric backing.

Sewnoma 07-01-2016 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by qltgrose (Post 7590901)
I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone will share their thoughts. I want to do a spiderweb strip pieced quilt. I have looked at Bonnie Hunters method and she says to piece on a white square of fabric. Is there some special reason to use paper first? Just to avoid the weight of the backing fabric? I just shudder at the work of tearing all the paper off :)

I use fabric to foundation-piece my crazy quilts - I have used up all my old bedsheets (like my gran taught me) and when I ran out of those I started buying the cheapest, thinnest muslin I could find. It's inexpensive and works great, and like you say - no tearing a bunch of paper out afterwards. (and no ink all over my fingers) The extra fabric does add some weight to the quilt, so that might be a consideration, but I tend to prefer heavier quilts anyway so it doesn't bother me. And really thin muslin is pretty easy to find.