Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about widths of final border. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-widths-final-border-t211175.html)

GailG 01-16-2013 07:59 PM

Question about widths of final border.

I am making a baby quilt using a panel (Gone Fishing by Benartex). I fussy cut the blocks and used sashing. There are five rows of three approx 6" blocks..I say approx. because the blocks were a little off (not consistent). Actually it looks fine with the sashing -- it seemed to work it's way, but I don't like the proportion of the top. About 26 x 42 before the final border. Would this be -- beware quilt police::shock: please close your eyes -- weird? Could I use, say, 3" borders at the top and bottom and 5" borders at each side? I don't do pictures so I can't be any help in that category. Please use your imaginations. Perhaps I should have used only 12 little blocks, but it's already done except for the final border; and besides the pictures are adorable. Good to play I Spy or a matching game. I thank you in advance for your valuable comments and your help.

Gail

Silver Needle 01-16-2013 08:07 PM

I think it would be fine. Lots of full size bed quilts are done this way so you get more quilt on the sides of the bed without adding too much to the top and bottom. This will be less noticeable if you have it quilted with all over quilt pattern.

Dina 01-16-2013 08:08 PM

There are no quilt police, not really. I would just do what you want to. I have seen quilts with different sized borders on the tops and sides, and they looked just fine.

Dina

GailG 01-16-2013 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5791725)
I think it would be fine. Lots of full size bed quilts are done this way so you get more quilt on the sides of the bed without adding too much to the top and bottom. This will be less noticeable if you have it quilted with all over quilt pattern.

Oh my! Thanks, Silver Needle. I only do SID, cross-hatching, and my last quilt I attempted shadowing the seams. Not too bad.

Tartan 01-16-2013 08:14 PM

I think adding different size order is fine. You could also add a larger border down one side and appliqué the child's name there or a string of appliqué fish. Many quilt are done now with an asymmetrical setting.

GailG 01-16-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5791744)
I think adding different size order is fine. You could also add a larger border down one side and appliqué the child's name there or a string of appliqué fish. Many quilt are done now with an asymmetrical setting.

Oh how interesting!! I would have never thought of that one. Thanks.

BTW, I edited my post (#4) but somehow it got lost. Nothing earth shattering. Just wanted to add that I had thought of SID around the sashings and then hand quilt around the characters in each block. I've done this before on baby quilts and it was cute.

alleyoop1 01-17-2013 05:21 AM

It's your quilt so make the borders what ever size you want. It's all part of the design.

Jingle 01-17-2013 06:16 AM

I have done the different size borders to get quilts the size I want them to be. Seems okay to me. My quilts - My decision. Always looks good to me.

QuiltNama 01-17-2013 10:27 AM

Gail,
I think you will be just fine. Many times I like to adjust sizes and make my top & bottom borders different sized than the sides. It is your quilt---your way.