Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Yo-Yo Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-yo-yo-quilt-t222058.html)

KimS 05-22-2013 03:25 PM

Question about Yo-Yo Quilt

To make a yo-yo quilt do I need to attach each yo-yo to each other and then tack them like that to the backing fabric or can I just tack the yo-yo through the middle just keeping them close to each other to the backing fabric? Hope that makes sense.

patchsamkim 05-22-2013 03:31 PM

I only made a table top yo-yo quilt, but I did attach each yo-yo to each other before adding a backing. For a large quilt I do think you would need more than just tacking through the middle. Hopefully someone who has made a larger quilt can give more input.

Pinkiris 05-22-2013 03:49 PM

I've not made one either, but I would think that if you didn't attach the yo-yo's to one another and just tacked the center to a backing, the edges of the yo-yo's would eventually bend up from washing or handling. That would make for a pretty lumpy quilt!

I have seen and heard of yo-yo quilts that have no backing whatsoever. The yo-yo's are tacked to one another and the effect is almost like lace. Not recommended for little hands that like to "poke" their fingers into little openings!

Prism99 05-22-2013 03:50 PM

I think it's usual to attach the yo-yo's to each other as well as tacking them to the background fabric.

KimS 05-22-2013 04:49 PM

Thanks everybody! I knew I'd find the answer here. :)

Fabric Collector 05-22-2013 07:13 PM

I'm doing a pattern called YoYoville. It has the yoyo centered on a square & alternate a four patch block. The border has appliqued houses with yoyos for trees & flowers. The yoyo centered on the square is sewn down around all of the yoyo circle.

AliKat 05-22-2013 08:58 PM

It would depend on the design of the yo-yo quilt you wanted. Some have the yo-yos just space throughout, thus they are not sewed together but onto the background fabrics.

GrannieAnnie 05-22-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by KimS (Post 6079827)
To make a yo-yo quilt do I need to attach each yo-yo to each other and then tack them like that to the backing fabric or can I just tack the yo-yo through the middle just keeping them close to each other to the backing fabric? Hope that makes sense.

Enough yo-yos for a quilt will become quite heavy. For that reason alone, they need to be attached to a some sort of backing. Now if you're just doing enough for a table topper or a vest, you probably don't need a foundation.

ckcowl 05-23-2013 02:47 AM

I have made 3 very different yo-yo quilts--one my grandma helped with way back in the 70's- it is just yo-yo's, they are attached to each other- securely with no foundation- it is twin sized and we lay it out on top of a solid spread. the 2nd one is yo-yo's spaced about 1/2" apart- (appliqued) down onto background strips with a plain strip between each yo-yo strip. the 3rd has yo-yo's attached to each other in 9-patches- these are then appliqued onto backgrounds....when I say appliqued on I mean securely (applique stitched) down all the way around each yo-yo---not just tacked here & there. my sister has one that has yo-yo's attached to each other- then laid on a foundation with a button in the center of each yo-yo attaching it to the background. you can make it any way you want- lay them out, decide how you like them- together, separate, buttons, foundation, no foundation - in designs, rows, blocks, make it your own :)