Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about your sewing rooms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-your-sewing-rooms-t177121.html)

MaggieLou 01-31-2012 01:10 PM

I would do it in a heartbeat. My sewing room is the sun room and although I have tons of natural light I don't have any wall space to speak of and it isn't very big. I have a friend who has a full basement and if he ever moves I'm going to see if I can talk my DH into moving. Hanging shop light provide plenty of light if you need it. Is your grey OK with stairs? I had one that refused to climb or go down stairs.

slk350 01-31-2012 02:42 PM

I used to have a sewing room in my basement when I lived up north and we had basements.It was chilly down there in the winter. It wasn't fancy, just an area to sew. I seemed to have enough light, now that I'm older I probably wouldn't be able to see very well. My two sewing rooms since we moved to FL. have been in a front bedroom with double windows (I'm nosey now that I'm older--LOL--It runs in the family, my grandmother used to sit on a stool in a window and watch everything that went on outside--poor lady,she was bored) and I love it. Plenty of light and I have a nice view. I wish I had more room, but I overflow into the dining room when need be. I'm always thinking of ways to re-do my room. I know I need to put wood shelves in the closet. The weight of stacking plastic storage containers 4 high with fabric is squashing the bottom containers.

biscuitqueen 02-05-2012 12:18 PM

my vote is for more room, I know a lot of people who sew in the basement.

Peggy Jeanne 02-05-2012 05:25 PM

I am lucky, have a walkout basement with two large windows. If I could not see out, I would be upstairs.

dopplerpoint 11-15-2012 07:54 AM

I am in my 3rd brand new house now and for each of those houses, the first thing I do after picking up the keys is to paint the basement floor (after a good wash and allow to air dry thoroughly). Never had a problem, basement is so much more usable because it is clean. If I ever move into a 4th brand new house, I will do it again in a snap. Suggested site creativecarpentrymn

minstrel 11-15-2012 12:57 PM

I have the same situation. I've opted to stay in my small bedroom - along with all my quilting, crafting, stamping and scrapping stuff. Oh yeah, and the the twin guest bed. I like the natural light and the basement is kind of chilly. I'm hoping to just reorganize things and maybe replace a small armoire thing with a larger and taller bookcase and baskets of some sort for all the "stuff". It's really all about what's more important to YOU.

lnolan6177 11-15-2012 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all. My sewing room/ laundry room is in the basement. I love not having the mess upstairs. I can spread out and not be in anyone's way. My husband was at an auction this summer and they had a set of desks, credenzas and file cabinets from a local bank. He got them all for $25!! This is what he put together for me. I love all the useful surface space and storage. There is another credenza in the opposite wall too. My cutting table is also there too. We have a wood stove in the rec. room next door so being warm isn't a problem and it stays cool in the summer. Just perfect v

kathdavis 11-15-2012 08:09 PM

I don't want to be in the basement away from everything. I also refuse to use an 2nd floor bedroom, because it takes me away from my family. I store some of my fabric in the basement but I don't want to sew down there. I also like to be near the kitchen so I can start dinner and continue to sew.