Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for all fabric dyers! PLEASE help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-all-fabric-dyers-please-help-t38823.html)

justwannaquilt 03-06-2010 06:29 PM

My daughters Girl Scout troop(6 year olds) found out she has been making pillowcases for the pillowcase project and they would like to make some as their charity project. What they are wanting to do is make two pillowcases then tie dye them. Give one to charity and keep one for themselves. I was thinking make them out of a high quality white farbic and then dye them once they are sewn together. The leader (who knows nothing about sewing or fabric or dying) suggested just "buying a kit" to dye them. I was thinking more along the lines of using fiber reactive dyes so the color wouldn't fade with the many washings that these pillow cases would get.

does anyone have any suggestions? Does Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or Michael's sell any fiber reactive dyes? I know I can order them from Dharma but I was wondering if there was some place local that we could go so it wasn't all out of my pocket (I'll never see the money again and I can see this running into some cash. They already vol. me to buy the fabric since I would have the coupon. lol)

Another thing what kind of white cotton would make good pillowcases?

Thank you
Danielle

Sharon321 03-06-2010 06:51 PM

My friend that does fabric dyeing uses Southern Bell.

spinnergs 03-06-2010 07:01 PM

All the craft stores have good fiber reactive dyes available, even Walmart. For great directions for dyeing results go to Dharma Trading Co. and check the lessons on their site. Walmart also has a good tye dye trick. They sell stripes of concentrated dye fabrics that you tie around your project. When you place them in water, the dye transfers to your (pillowcase) and you get dyed designs. This might be a better idea for kids.

Quiltsbybarb 03-06-2010 07:03 PM

Well, I do a lot of dyeing and I do order my dye from Dharma. I am not sure but Michael's may care the procion dye. This is what you want.

Any good quality white fabric or unbleached muslin will really dye well. It has to be 100% cotton. I would really suggest the unbleached muslin.

Be sure and check out Dharma's website for information regarding the dyeing. They have a lot of information.

You talked about a coupon so I wonder if you are talking Joanne's?? Check there for the procion dye. They just may carry it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Yes, the dye and dyeing supplies do start running into a quite a bit of money.

spinnergs 03-06-2010 07:03 PM

Also for the fabric, I would suggest a fabric store that carries Kona Cotton fabric. It is great tighter weave for dyeing and less expensive than printed fabrics.

amma 03-06-2010 07:05 PM

I was going to suggest tie dyeing kits too. Walmart carrys them in the craft section, I have seen them at JoAnn's too. This may be easier for the girls, less expensive, and less mess for you :wink:

littlehud 03-06-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
All the craft stores have good fiber reactive dyes available, even Walmart. For great directions for dyeing results go to Dharma Trading Co. and check the lessons on their site. Walmart also has a good tye dye trick. They sell stripes of concentrated dye fabrics that you tie around your project. When you place them in water, the dye transfers to your (pillowcase) and you get dyed designs. This might be a better idea for kids.

I want to try the concentrated dye fabrics with my grand daughter. They sound fun and easier than regular tie dye.

Prism99 03-06-2010 08:48 PM

Anyone using dye powders needs to be extremely careful with them. You do not want to expose children to the powders at all; they are toxic if breathed in, if carried to the mouth, etc. They are safer for children to handle after they are mixed with water. In classes, even as adults, we were always required to wear masks and gloves when handling dye powders and we were very careful to avoid spills.

Here's a website that explains safety precautions:
http://fabricdyeing101.blogspot.com/...th-safety.html

Personally, if working with children, I would opt for the tie-dye kits.

spinnergs 03-06-2010 09:46 PM

Okay, last time I promise. I just watched the new show on The Quilt Show and Ricky Timms showed how to use WASHABLE school glue as a resist. Just use it to "draw" your design on light fabric, let it dry completely 3-4 hours. Then place your fabric in a baggie with a mix of soda ash/water and liquid dye until set. Wash it out and have fun.

justwannaquilt 03-07-2010 05:38 AM

Thank you EVERYONE for the information. I know the basics of dyeing and I would NEVER let the girls around the dyes not only are they toxic this is going to be done at MY HOUSE and I don't want a mess I will NEVER get out!

I was also thinking something like muslin didn't know if it needed to be bleached or unbleached, so thank you.
I will check around for fabric dyes and see what I can come up with. If I don't find much I will just order and start a new hobby, lol dyeing fabric!
I love the idea of letting them "draw" a picture on the pillow cases and then letting them dye them.

Thanks again everyone! you all are great! :)