Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for anyone who has made the X bag purse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-anyone-who-has-made-x-bag-purse-t65601.html)

sewnsewer2 09-19-2010 10:15 AM

I just bought the pattern (I finally found it :D ). My question is...is there supposed to be a pocket on the outside front and back where it is folded over?

Thanks!

nativetexan 09-19-2010 10:22 AM

I have The X B ag pattern by four Corners. i don't see anything about a pocket in the written directions or the templates. let me know if you put one in!! I have yet to make one
I just found this online "unique bag with 3 handy compartments inside" so it must have pockets of sorts.

Ginaky 09-19-2010 10:50 AM

Yes, the way you put the pieces together you have a pocket on the front, one on the back and the middle section. I've made several of them.

jdavis 09-19-2010 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have made several of them also (but I make mine larger than the pattern). You do end up with a central section and two outer "pockets."
I was comparing notes with another X-bagger, and she gave me some very good advice. As the bag starts taking shape, you really have an inner and an outer bag. The instructions tell you to put one inside the other, then proceed to sew through all the bag layers to make the box bottom. It is much easier to sew the box bottom in the inner and outer bags separately, then put one inside the other. The two bags will stay put together if you just tack it together along the side seam, sort of at the base of the handle. This will all make sense once you get going on the pattern.
I have attached pics of my fall X-bag. It's been holding up very well. I believe this is the 5th season for it.

Fall X-bag, front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112164[/ATTACH]

Fall X-bag, rear
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112165[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 09-19-2010 11:30 AM

so the "pockets" are just formed as the bag pieces over lap. they must be deep though.
thanks for the advice. i hope to make one myself soon.

jdavis 09-19-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
so the "pockets" are just formed as the bag pieces over lap. they must be deep though.
thanks for the advice. i hope to make one myself soon.

Exactly. And you can actually reach down through the bottom of one pocket, and end up in the other. But if your bag is as full as mine, the contents will keep things from swimming between the pockets. Another thing I like about the bag is the fairly wide strap. Many store-bought bags have straps so narrow they cut into your shoulder (again, I have a lot of stuff in my bag. If I didn't have so much stuff, I wouldn't have the strap problem)

odysseyquilter 09-19-2010 11:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've made and sold many Xbags and they really aren't pockets, there are 3 sections with the middle one being the biggest. I have added small pockets from the excess material to keep my cell phone and keys from falling to the bottom of the bag. I have put them on either the inside or the outside and they should be sewn on when while the two sections are only attached at the strap and the rest of the bag is flat. I used pre-quilted two sided fabric on a couple and they come out really nice. Good luck with the pattern.

pre quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112426[/ATTACH]

pre quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112427[/ATTACH]

three made with home dec fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112435[/ATTACH]

Julie in NM 09-19-2010 02:24 PM

When I made mine I used a dark fab and oriental. Don't use dark fab. Can't find a darn thing in it. Gave it away at the quilt meeting and gal was thrilled!! Whoppee for her.

jdavis 09-19-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by odysseyquilter
I've made and sold many Xbags and they really aren't pockets, there are 3 sections with the middle one being the biggest. I have added small pockets from the excess material to keep my cell phone and keys from falling to the bottom of the bag. I have put them on either the inside or the outside and they should be sewn on when while the two sections are only attached at the strap and the rest of the bag is flat. I used pre-quilted two sided fabric on a couple and they come out really nice. Good luck with the pattern.

Nice! I would use some prequilted fabric for one, if I could find (and afford) some that I like. Great idea using the home decor fabric. Did you still use an interfacing layer?

odysseyquilter 09-19-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jdavis

Originally Posted by odysseyquilter

Nice! I would use some prequilted fabric for one, if I could find (and afford) some that I like. Great idea using the home decor fabric. Did you still use an interfacing layer?

No I didn't use interfacing. The two layers of home dec made it quite stiff enough.