Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for bag makers please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-bag-makers-please-t287785.html)

KenmoreGal2 04-25-2017 12:09 PM

Question for bag makers please

1 Attachment(s)
I'm making bags with a zipper closure at the top. The picture below is how the handles are attached, I think that's the most common way. I'd like to make a similar, smaller bag but have just one long shoulder strap attached to the bag at the edges as opposed to the front and back. How do I do such a thing? With this method, I can't see a way to stick the handles in the sides of the bag as I'm sewing up the sides. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.

Oh, I've checked online tutes and patterns but didn't find an answer. I saw a bag with loops sewn into the side seam near the top and the handle was attached to that loop with a metal ring. Most of the other bags I saw had the zipper installed differently. There was fabric sewn to the sides of the zipper and that fabric was attached to the bag. The zipper was kind of set into the bag instead of being on the top. Is that what I have to do for a shoulder strap?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572093[/ATTACH]

Pat M. 04-25-2017 02:19 PM

Are you going to have a lining? I put my straps between the bag and the lining, then the zipper.

KenmoreGal2 04-25-2017 02:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes there will be a lining. I'm confused though. With your method do you leave the opening for turning at the top of the bag or at the bottom of the lining? I like laying out the zipper like my picture, all flat and turning the bag through a hole in the bottom of the lining. Can I attach side handles when it's laid out like that?

KenmoreGal2 04-25-2017 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another question for you bag makers! I just finished the bag in the picture. OMG trying to sew the bag together and go over the zipper area was so hard! There are many layers of fabric and the bag exterior was quilted so even more layers. The fabric was as high as my presser foot, fully raised. I would take one stitch, move the fabric a bit myself, take another stitch etc. I don't think I got in nearly as many stitches as I probably should have. But how do you folks do this?? This must be a common issue.

Edited to add a picture of the completed bag. I've circled the spots where I had such a hard time sewing. The pattern I used also has those corners turned down, I guess that's how it's supposed to finish. So is it ok that there are less stitches in the turned down corners? Maybe they won't have any stress on them? IDK.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572097[/ATTACH]

Patchworkbarb 04-25-2017 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]572111[/ATTACH]I use a jean needle when I am making bags, makes life a little easier. If you have a sleeve board, you can steam your seam and then put the sleeve board on the seam and let it cool. It flattens it a bit. This is one of the bags I have made.

KenmoreGal2 04-25-2017 07:19 PM

Thanks for the hints Barb. That's an excellent bag you made! I love the colors.

rryder 04-26-2017 04:10 AM

Kenmoregal2,
when I need to stitch over thick seams, like for hemming jeans, I give them a good whack or two with a hammer first.

don't know if that would work when there's a zipper involved

Rob

Mitty 04-26-2017 05:14 AM

My machine came with a little plastic doohickey that can be put under the back of the foot to level the foot when the fabric is thick. It's good for getting over humps - it keeps the fabric feeding so that it doesn't get stuck in one spot, trying to get over the hump.

Other than that, make sure you trim the seams to reduce bulk, and use a 90/14 or 100/16 needle.

I haven't done enough bags to be helpful with your first question.

KenmoreGal2 04-26-2017 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mitty and Rob. I tried a different method this morning. I made the zipper shorter so it wasn't an issue at all with the bulk. Then I sewed a long shoulder strap to the top corners of the bag exterior, similar to how 2 handles would be sewn to the bag exterior in my first picture. The handle wasn't very thick at all but once it was doubled over and then added to the bulk of the bag, it was quite a lot. I didn't think to hammer it. That may have helped. But.....the handles finished pretty badly, nothing like I'd hoped. Picture below.

In the past I've made shoulder strap bags by sewing the exterior and lining faces together at the top with a space left (at the top) to turn the bag. It's easy to insert the shoulder strap into that "package". The problem is I also need to insert the zipper at the top and because I like to make myself a pretty small bag, it's really hard to do because the space is so tight. That's why I'd love to figure out a way to have the shoulder strap on the sides but construct the bag like my first photo. (Add the zipper first then sew the bag sides.) Is this even possible? I did a lot more internet searching last night and can find no examples of what I want to do. Maybe it can't be done? I guess in a pinch I could use 2 long shoulder straps attached like my first picture. Ok, here's today's mess.

Edited to add - most tutes I find on the web for top zip bags have 2 handles attached to the exterior fabric. I did find a couple pictures of bags with one long handle. They used a hidden recessed zipper. Is that what I need to do? Maybe I should switch to bags with a flap like Barb made, assuming there is not a zipper hiding under her flap??

Thanks for helping.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572130[/ATTACH]

KenmoreGal2 04-26-2017 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb (Post 7811772)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]572111[/ATTACH]I use a jean needle when I am making bags, makes life a little easier. If you have a sleeve board, you can steam your seam and then put the sleeve board on the seam and let it cool. It flattens it a bit. This is one of the bags I have made.

Is there a zipper at the top of your bag Barb, under the flap? I see you attached the handles in the same way as I'd like.