Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on Batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-batiks-t104666.html)

Arleners 03-04-2011 05:30 AM

I love and have used Batiks for ages. I was quite surprised when I joined the BB and saw see that people felt they were hard to work with. They do feel a little thicker than some of your other cotton fabrics, but I like that.
I guess it is personal preference. I just love the color play in Batiks.

Lena1952 03-04-2011 05:40 AM

I use batiks all the time. My son, the sewing machine mechanic, suggested I use a "quilting" needle on my machine. The point is sharper and the shaft is thinner than a universal. It goes through the fabric easier with less chance of pulling threads. His suggestion worked great.

maryb119 03-04-2011 05:43 AM

I love batiks. I prewash them in Retayne to set the dye but I use them like any other fabric. I hand quilt. They are woven tighter so they are a little harder to stitch but use a sharp needle and it helps.

Lori S 03-04-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
Where do you all purchase Retayne? I have never seen it before and I think it would be a good idea to have some on hand.

Internet or your Local Quilt shop.

katlady 03-04-2011 06:00 AM

They are not difficult to work on, they are very well made & easy to sew on, the only thing I have found is they are hard to hand quilt .

Amanda from South Texas 03-04-2011 06:02 AM

This is why I LOVEEEEEEEEE this board!!!!!!!! I am a hand quilter also, so I am going to experiment on a small project but I am guessing anything large will have to be sent out. You guys are the best! And Barbara, I WISH those were my puppies!!! I have 2 goldens and am a goldenaholic :) Thanks for all the great tips!!

Up4BigChal 03-04-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Amanda from South Texas
I absolutely love batiks, the color, the richness, etc. and have purchased (of course enough for everyone on the board to quilt haha). But I have read so often people discussing how batiks are a challenge to work with and now I am intimidated to use them. Why are they difficult to use?

Maybe what they are referring to "hard to work with" is that they are so tightly woven that quilting them is the issue, I have been told by Hand Quilters that they are very difficult to hand quilt, but it's not stopping me Love Batiks

quilter on the eastern edge 03-04-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Amanda from South Texas
This is why I LOVEEEEEEEEE this board!!!!!!!! I am a hand quilter also, so I am going to experiment on a small project but I am guessing anything large will have to be sent out. You guys are the best! And Barbara, I WISH those were my puppies!!! I have 2 goldens and am a goldenaholic :) Thanks for all the great tips!!

I love Goldens too. That's my Henry over there <<<<<.

Rachel 03-04-2011 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Heartwarming quilts
I love batiks! I piece them, applique them, collect them and pet them.

ME TOO!!! :D :D :D

Dandish 03-04-2011 06:37 AM

Never had a problem with batiks. The last one I purchased, though, a deep, rich, saturated blue, took a lot of rinsing before the color stopped bleeding. It still looks just as good, so I'm happy.