Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A question to Bernina 8series users (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-bernina-8series-users-t255531.html)

jeanharville 10-19-2014 12:44 PM

A question to Bernina 8series users

I'm trying to decide between a Bernina 820/830 and a Pfaff 5 Performance. My question is about changing the bobbin while you are quilting. It seems like you would have to remove the quilt, remove the extension table, change the bobbin, then reload everything. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Cam's gram 10-19-2014 01:01 PM

I looked at the Bernina on line and it looks like my Bernina. With the extention table on, you can open the bobbin and change it. Just lift the material out of the way.

Neanie 10-19-2014 01:06 PM

I have the Bernina 820. You are correct in your assumption about removing everything to change the bobbin. However, what I like about this machine is that it warns you when the bobbin is running low. I need that bobbin change break to give myself a rest from the concentration of machine quilting. It's a great machine.

Candace 10-19-2014 01:34 PM

The bobbins are 3 times as large as normal domestic machine bobbins. It's really not an issue to change them, because you do it less frequently than on other machines. There's a window to look through in the extension table that makes it so you don't have to remove it to change the bobbin, but I usually do as I have a hard time working around it.

Honestly, this would not be my major concern about choosing between the two machines mentioned. I would be waaaay more worried about the repair and history of problems of each model.

SuzieQuilts 10-19-2014 03:42 PM

I have the 820, and I agree with Candace. Once you get use to your machine, changing the bobbin with the table on is not a problem, as you get use to the feel of it, and there is only one way to put the bobbin on. There are so many user friendly features. There is also a tool included to help thread the bobbin. It looks like a dentist tool, but the mirror on it allows you to look underneath to see if it is threaded right. However, as I said before, once you get use to the feel, and you can feel the thread "click" into place, you won't need the tool. I love my 820.

cathyre 10-19-2014 07:15 PM

I have an Bernina 830 and love it , the bobbin is much bigger I don't have a problem changing the bobbin
when I am quilting , the wide "c" section is great for doing big quilts , and the applique stitches are wonderful.
Cathy

SuzieQuilts 10-20-2014 03:56 AM

Cathyre is right, the blanket stitch applique is wonderful. I worked on a project this summer, and started appliqueing with my Bernina 440, and finished with my 820. Wow! I thought my 440 was a gem for applique until then. I could tell the difference between the two stitches.

stella63 10-20-2014 04:31 AM

Hi I have the 830 and u can change the huge bobbin without all the fuss. It takes a little practice but deff possible x

Silver Needle 10-20-2014 06:39 AM

I have a Bernina 880 with the embroidery module and am in love with it. It's 1/4" matches the 1/4" on the Lil Foot I use on my Featherweights exactly. So I can take my projects to sew-ins and retreats and work with FW and come home and continue on with 880. It did take a little time getting used to threading the bobbin thread. But it was really worth working through the learning curve.

imsewnso 10-20-2014 07:04 AM

I have an 830 and the bobbin changes are way less than other machines because of the huge bobbin. I just slide the tray over to the left. You just need to press a button to do this. Open the door and change the bobbin. I have NEVER found it to be an issue although, I did think it might be when I first started. Even when I am embroiderying, this isn't an issue the hoop moves out of the way, you change the bobbin and the machine goes back to where it left off automatically. I think this is a fantastic machine IF it is working. If you are purchasing new, then you have a warranty, but if this is second hand I would make sure that there are no issues with the machine. Fortunately I never had any issues that could not be fixed. Others however have had. If you have a dealer and service rep you can trust then you are good to go. I had my issues with phaff and personally would not go there, but that is my experience.