Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Bow Tucks Purse Makers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-bow-tucks-purse-makers-t50646.html)

piepatch 06-21-2010 06:42 AM

I am pretty new here, but have been admiring all the Bow Tucks purses for quite a while now, and would love to make one. Before I order the pattern, I would like to know if you use regular quilting cotton, or a heavier fabric. Also, what kind of batting or interfacing.........fusible or something else, and what weight ? Also, do you do any quilting after you apply the batting? Thanks ahead for your help.

amy WI 06-21-2010 06:55 AM

I used just cotton fabric and F987 fusible fleece. I quilted per the directions. You can always by the prequilted fabric. The directions are pretty straight forward. There was a tute on here about getting started. Just search Bow Tuck on here and you'll find everything you need. Good Luck! :)

erstan947 06-21-2010 07:08 AM

Have fun. I must say that the first one for me took some concentration but the second one was a breeze.

kathy 06-21-2010 08:15 AM

if you use the fusible interfacing you don't have to quilt, the choice is yours, I've made them with quilting cotton and I've used drapery fabric, both turned out very nice.

Shikadee 06-21-2010 09:48 AM

I have made about 20 now and have orders for 10 more. The recommended fusable fleece is the "batting". You fuse the fleece to the back of both the outside and lining pieces of the purse and quilt all for pieces separately. Doesn't take much or even any quilting with the fusable fleece but I quilt a little on everything, including the outside pocket because I want it to be a quilted purse. If you use the already quilted store bought fabric it will be much thinner as you won't have a lining but it will work. I also made some with using "deco bond" on the inside pockets only instead of the fusable fleece. I like that too but I buy bolts of the flusable fleece at JoAnns when I can get it for 50% off making it about $3.50/yd. Once you've made the purse, it is soooooo easy. I also cut cardboard (heavy boxes) for the bottom and cover the cardboard with coordinating fabric. I have put zippers in some when requested but that's is not very easy for me. Have fun. Since I made anc carried my first one with flip flop fabric I can't keep up with the demand of my friends, family, and co-corkers.

Sharon

piepatch 06-21-2010 05:06 PM

Thanks so much for the information. It is helpful to me to have input from someone who has completed one of these bags, and know what your experience has been with the pattern, and your batting / fleece preference, etc. I hope I can make one as nice as the ones I have seen here. Thanks again for your help.

littlehud 06-21-2010 06:14 PM

I have used fusable fleece in my bags. I tried one with regular batting and spray basted it. That one does need to be quilted. I just used regular cotton fabrics. They are easy after the first one.

MinnieKat 06-21-2010 06:25 PM

I also use cotton quilting fabric and the 987F fusible interfacing. I never quilt mine. I've made about 20 or more.

Cheryl

craftybear 06-25-2010 02:47 AM

thanks for all of your information

Originally Posted by Shikadee
I have made about 20 now and have orders for 10 more. The recommended fusable fleece is the "batting". You fuse the fleece to the back of both the outside and lining pieces of the purse and quilt all for pieces separately. Doesn't take much or even any quilting with the fusable fleece but I quilt a little on everything, including the outside pocket because I want it to be a quilted purse. If you use the already quilted store bought fabric it will be much thinner as you won't have a lining but it will work. I also made some with using "deco bond" on the inside pockets only instead of the fusable fleece. I like that too but I buy bolts of the flusable fleece at JoAnns when I can get it for 50% off making it about $3.50/yd. Once you've made the purse, it is soooooo easy. I also cut cardboard (heavy boxes) for the bottom and cover the cardboard with coordinating fabric. I have put zippers in some when requested but that's is not very easy for me. Have fun. Since I made anc carried my first one with flip flop fabric I can't keep up with the demand of my friends, family, and co-corkers.

Sharon