Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Canadians (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-canadians-t99037.html)

alwaysdreaming 02-12-2011 08:36 AM

Has anyone bought fabric online? I would like to know if we have to pay duty. I have found some fantastic fabric at great prices,and even with shipping is a really good buy.However, if we need to add more on for duty,it might not be worth it.

thimblebug6000 02-12-2011 08:50 AM

I have only purchased 3 times from the US online, and never had to pay duty. My purchases were under $100 each. Previously some members posted they paid duty, but even with that the price was worth it.

YukonViv 02-12-2011 09:02 AM

I've purchased fabric, but never more then about $80 so never had to pay duty.

That being said, I'm also a needleworker and when I've ordered (or even received as a gift) something over the $100 I've had to pay duty.

I just can't remember what the amount is that you can have up to without paying duty, you should be able to google it.

BTW, it's definitely worth it, our fabric locally is $18.95/metre...so even if duty was involved it would still be cheaper.

quilt queen 2 02-12-2011 11:21 AM

I have ordered many times and not paid duty except on a quilt kit that was over the $100.00. Am very happy with my online purchases.Recently ordered a specific ruler and pattern that cost me $25.00 less than it was here!

quiltinggrandmaca 02-12-2011 12:46 PM

I have ordered a lot from the US and have never paid duty on anything I ordered. Some of my orders have been over $200.00.

Maia B 02-12-2011 12:55 PM

Your fabric is $19 a metre?!?!?!?!? That's just bonkers. We need to set up some underground railroad for fabric for you folks. Or clinics and shops near the borders where Americans can buy healthcare and Canadian products and pay with fabric. "Fat quarter" is gonna have a whole new meaning. I mailed a giveaway on this board to Canada and the postage was outrageous. I told the postman, "It's closer than California!". Wow, if it was the other way around, the US would probably invade and take over your mills.

Aully 02-12-2011 01:23 PM

I always order my fabrics from the US, If you order them from ebay you can always ask them to mark you shipment as gift, and always have them ship with USPS.

EasyPeezy 02-12-2011 01:23 PM

I buy all my fabric online from the US and so far I don't think I've paid duty
but then my orders are usually $100 or less. I think I might have paid
brokerage fee when I ordered my huge square ruler. It came by FedEx.
Watch for the shipping charges though. Hancocks of Paducah and
Connecting Threads are very reasonable in that regard that I know of.

EasyPeezy 02-12-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aully
I always order my fabrics from the US, If you order them from ebay you can always ask them to mark you shipment as gift, and always have them ship with USPS.

Don't want to open a can of worms, but do you realise that this is illegal?
Your shipper could be in big trouble for that.

Mom to One 02-12-2011 05:49 PM

I think alot of the time it is just luck. I have ordered quilting and cross stitch supplies and only paid a couple of times. All the items came through the post office.
Has anyone ordered from fabric.com if so were the shipping charges to Canada high?
Cindy