Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Crumb Block Makers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-crumb-block-makers-t54048.html)

quiltinghere 07-12-2010 04:14 AM

Last night I tried sewing together a couple of Crumb Blocks.

After putting on 4 pieces on each, I stopped because I thought 1. it wouldn't look right. 2. it was ugly 3. didn't want to waste time (although I had time...just relaxing)

Did you have similar feelings when you FIRST made your FIRST blocks of Crumbs?

Should I keep trying?

How many blocks does it take in order to feel like "Hey I'm making something neat!"

Thanks

pollyjvan9 07-12-2010 04:18 AM

Well, I don't really know. I sew scraps together into crazy scrap blocks or strips and use them as borders or baby quilts. I guess I like them from the beginning because I am just trying to control scraps that I can't bear to throw away!

quiltinghere 07-12-2010 04:19 AM

WOW that was fast POLLY - thanks - maybe I need to think along those lines - or maybe not think at all?

aorlflood 07-12-2010 04:32 AM

I think of myself as making new "fabric". It's amazing how much new "fabric" you can get from crumbs!

I like to make them when I want "mindless" sewing...something I don't have to think about or concentrate to do.

I have to be in that mindset, though, or else I'm thinking about everything else I "should" be doing instead of making crumb blocks.

I've made blocks but have yet to join them together into anything. It is more like one of those "on-going" projects...kinda like string blocks. I make them when my scrap bins start getting too full.

thismomquilts 07-12-2010 04:51 AM

I really like making crumb blocks - I have tons (yards?) of scraps and just want to use all the fabric I have purchased to the last thread... I just sew on them from time to time knowing that one day I will have enough to one day make a whole quilt. I do the same thing with scrap strips - I will call it Scraps of Life.

Rebecca VLQ 07-12-2010 04:51 AM

I've got about 60, 6 inch crumb blocks sitting and waiting to be beautiful. I'm....um....not in love with them right now. I think they need some more order or something. Something. So, they sit in a stack until I'm inspired. It's my first attempt, but the scraps were getting out of control!

ToucanSam 07-12-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I've got about 60, 6 inch crumb blocks sitting and waiting to be beautiful. I'm....um....not in love with them right now. I think they need some more order or something. Something. So, they sit in a stack until I'm inspired. It's my first attempt, but the scraps were getting out of control!

Sounds like you're getting a handle on those scraps. Wish I could do the same! :)

sewnmom 07-12-2010 05:01 AM

please explain "crumb " blocks..thanks, molly

gollytwo 07-12-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I think of myself as making new "fabric". It's amazing how much new "fabric" you can get from crumbs!
I like to make them when I want "mindless" sewing...something I don't have to think about or concentrate to do.
I've made blocks but have yet to join them together into anything. It is more like one of those "on-going" projects...kinda like string blocks. I make them when my scrap bins start getting too full.

Ditto
I'm more likely though to make fabric for Mile a Minute than for Crumbs - probably because it's more familiar to me .

mlaceruby 07-12-2010 05:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a different take on crumb blocks!
here are some pics of what I have made and some blocks in progress.
I look at these as free quilts- made from garbage that I would have thrown away!
I sew my crumbs together by color, forming new pieces of fabric that is yellow,blue,green,pink,red purple etc
then I cut them in to triangles and use abackground fabric to make HST units.
here are some pics of my units the black ones are 2 1/2" and the white ones are 3 1/4"
and also a pic of a queen size quilt top waiting to be quilted
hope this helps for the overall effect
These are not UGLY quilts!