Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on Dresden Plate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-dresden-plate-t216013.html)

crains12 03-10-2013 11:42 AM

Question on Dresden Plate

Hello Everyone

I am getting ready to start a dresden plate. I have reseached but have not been able to find the answer....

Has anyone ever sewn the plate to the back ground fabric by maching? I have seen some tutorials that say to sew only the tips of the plates to the back ground so you can cut the "extra" background away from the plate to reduce bulk....is this the best way? Can this be done by machine? I don't like the way my hand sewing looks so looking for a cleaner way to attache.

Thanks!

humbird 03-10-2013 01:11 PM

I did one Dresden Plate, and appliqued the plates to the background fabrics by hand, but I see no reason why you couldn't do it by machine. You could use a button hole stitch, or satin stitch. You may want to use a stableizer. I'm sure there are lots of DP quilts out there that have been done by machine. Good luck with yours.

Earleen 03-10-2013 01:11 PM

Machine with blanket stitch around outside of dresden plate.

ckcowl 03-10-2013 01:41 PM

i've done them with machine - using a blanket stitch- going around the outside- i don't generally remove the back (covered) fabric- i don't mind the extra weight of that background layer- but some people prefer removing it-leaving just a 1/4" on the back- then you do have the pieces to use for some other project-

oh munner 03-10-2013 02:11 PM

I just started a dresden plate quilt block today. My plan is to applique it to a white background using the blanket stitch on my machine. I love that look.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-10-2013 03:02 PM

Mine was done using the machine and invisible thread. I did not cut away the background fabric.

franc36 03-10-2013 03:07 PM

I have made only one Dresden Plate block. I appliquéd it by hand with an invisible stitch. I have the materials to make an entire quilt which I plan to hand appliqué, simply because I enjoy hand work. I would think that a blanket stitch on the machine would look lovely. I would use a light weight stabelizer that could be easily removed. When I appliqué on the machine, I usually use Stitch and Ditch stabelizer.

quilter2090 03-10-2013 04:09 PM

If you want to watch a video about Dresden Plate pattern, go to Quilt in a Day, click on medio theater, click on Egg Money Quilts, and scroll down episode #2706. You do not need to applique the plates by hand, watch the video and you see. Good Luck!

cizzors 03-10-2013 08:59 PM

I've made several and after pinning it to the background, I echo stitch a slightly bigger stitch to resemble handstitching. I stitch around the whole of each blade. I don't remove the excess center, either.

Chicca 03-11-2013 09:44 AM

I am creating a Dresden Plate quilt right now, are they not so fun! I decided to do straight stitching to attach the block to the background fabric. It goes very quickly and looks very nice. I used Elmers Washable Glue and heat set with iron to prevent the DP from moving. It works fantastic!