Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A question on English paper peicing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-english-paper-peicing-t41355.html)

patty04 03-31-2010 07:25 PM

To all of you that do EPP, how do you wash your peice after you complete it, I didn't know if it would hold up in the washing machine. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank You very much

athenagwis 03-31-2010 07:42 PM

Not quite sure why you think it wouldn't hold up? I am EPPing a grandmother's garden. I take the paper out as I go leaving the paper in at just the borders. When I am done all the paper will come out. Then I will sandwich and quilt and it will be just like any other quilt I have I imagine, so I will just wash as normal.

HTH!
Rachel

sharon b 03-31-2010 08:38 PM

Still working on mine but would imagine that you would wash just like any other quilt . you are putting all the seams together by hand and then quilting it.

patty04 04-01-2010 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Not quite sure why you think it wouldn't hold up? I am EPPing a grandmother's garden. I take the paper out as I go leaving the paper in at just the borders. When I am done all the paper will come out. Then I will sandwich and quilt and it will be just like any other quilt I have I imagine, so I will just wash as normal.

HTH!
Rachel

Hi Rachel

So you take all your papers out as you go, I didn't know that, does that make it easier to sew as you go?
Patty

athenagwis 04-01-2010 06:33 AM

I think it does, when the quilt gets bigger, the stiffness of all the paper makes it harder to tuck it up in my lap and quilt. I just leave the paper in on the borders so I have that to sew the next row on, but usually I'll sew a section, then go back and remove all the paper except the border. Plus it gives me a feel for what it will look like. With the paper in, you can see EVERY mistake, once the paper is out, the fabric is much more forgiving.

Rachel

k3n 04-01-2010 06:43 AM

I also take the papers out once the piece is completely surrounded.

My 5 year old daughter has a EPPd star quilt I made when she first went into a big girl's bed, aged 2, quilted with Hobbs 80/20 by hand. It goes in the washer frequently (as you can imagine!) and in the dryer on wool setting, minimum dry. Then I finish it off draped over an airer. It just gets softer and nicer with every wash and no unravelling stitches that I can see! It was pieced with YLI 60 wt and quilted with 100 percent cotton 50wt hand quilting thread.

patty04 04-01-2010 07:09 AM

This is my first epp, I can't beleive how many patterns or templates there are for this.

littlehud 04-02-2010 06:58 PM

I always figured it was no different than hand piecing your blocks. I will wash mine the same way I wash all my quilts.

amma 04-02-2010 09:20 PM

I too think it will wash as nicely as any other quilt, as long as your stitching is good and you quilt it well :D:D:D