Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on enlarging bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-enlarging-bargello-t258147.html)

LindaM 12-13-2014 08:17 AM

Question on enlarging bargello

I'm planning on making "Cosmic Twist" from Eileen Wright's "Twist and Turn Bargello". I have the book and charts.

The quilt needs to finish as a king size quilt. The design as printed is 58 3/4" x 80 1/2".

I can:
- put borders on
- change each strip width
- add more strips on each side to carry on the design

I've charted it out - adding 1/2" to each strip and adding a border would get the size needed.

Has anyone changed the design by changing the strip size? I'm concerned about losing the effect of the design. I'm thinking changing all strips by the same factor would keep the design but would love to know if anyone has tried this and how it worked out.

Many thanks,
Linda

Tartan 12-13-2014 08:39 AM

With just an ordinary Bargello, changing the strip width will be fine. Changing it on a design that intersects other sections, I just don't know it the effect will line up. Hopefully someone can answer your question from having adjusted this pattern.
I might be tempted to do the design as is, add a one colour border and then continue the Bargello pattern for another border.

LindaM 12-13-2014 09:11 AM

Ooooh, Tartan, that's a delightful idea!

nabobw 12-14-2014 06:26 AM

I made mine fit a queen just by framing it with a small border then added larger borders. My avatar

bjchad 12-14-2014 08:28 AM

Rather than add the same amount to each strip you could add the same percent. Take your narrowest and add a half inch. Divide one half by the original size. Whatever you get is what you multiply each strip width by to get what you add.

For example. If your narrowest width is 1.5 in. Take .5/1.5 =.33
Next width is 2 inches. 2 x.33 =..67 which is about 5/8 of an inch so you would add 5/8 to this strip

This would keep all the widths in proportion. To keep the whole thing in proportion you could also do the lengths.

It's a lot of math but would not distort as much as adding the same amount to each.

Dina 12-14-2014 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I added 1/2 inch to the width of each strip when I made my second Surf Song. I don't recall how much wider I was trying to make it, but I did think part of the overall design was lost. I was still happy with the results though. Let me see if I can find pictures of each, in case that helps.

Okay, the first picture is the Surf Song as her pattern has it....47" x 49"...(This is from the same book you have. It is the wall hanging sized Surf Song. She also has a larger one in this same book. Of course, it was larger than I wanted.) The second picture is larger, 62" x 65". I know I added 1/2 inch to the width of each. I can't really remember if I made each original strip wider. I suspect I did. It called for 1 1/2 inch strips and I think I cut them all 2 inches. Then I cut the width 1/2 inch from what each said on the map. It was confusing, but it was do-able.

If you like the extra borders ideas, those would certainly be easier!! My borders are different than hers....not a big difference, but still different.

Dina