Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for fans of AccuQuilt dies.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-fans-accuquilt-dies-t222096.html)

Rhonda Lee 05-23-2013 09:43 AM

Question for fans of AccuQuilt dies..

I am a Accuquilt die seeker. Nancys Notions has them on sale for 35% off. It looks like a good buy. I am not much of an appliquer and I'm not much into the cutesy dies (they are cute though). I want dies that are more traditional. The die blocks I'm looking at are Triangles in Square dies at 2", 4" and half rectangle triangle 6" the Log Cabin 12", Drunkards Path, Dresden Plate, Blazing Star, Double Wedding Ring and Rob Peter to Pay Paul. There are Strip Cutter dies from 1" to 6 1/2". Yes I'd like them all but can't do it all at once. I have a few dies and am adding to what I have now. Any suggestions on what has worked for you? Is there a conversion of the dies on how they are used other than the pattern that comes with them? As always..thanks for a reply.

quiltingcandy 05-23-2013 09:49 AM

Have you tried the Accuquilt website? They have a sale going on now, you accumulate points that you redeem for credit, you pick the way it ships and if you go over a certain limit (right now it is $99.00) there is free shipping. Since they are not in CA I don't pay the CA sales tax, so it's been a great deal for me.

Prism99 05-23-2013 10:01 AM

I prefer cutting strips with my June Tailor mat to cutting them with the Accuquilt Go! Unless you have difficulty cutting straight strips, I would leave the strip cutter dies for last. I do love triangles and odd shapes cut with my Accuquilt.

Here's a link to the Accuquilt site. Dies are on sale up to 50% off (according to them; I found most discounted a lot less than 50%):
http://www.accuquilt.com/

nanacc 05-23-2013 10:04 AM

I love mine! My most used dies are the 2 1/2" strip cutter and 5" blocks. Other strip cutters are on my wish list. Have used some applique dies for neat table runners and wall hangings.

nanacc 05-23-2013 10:07 AM

Forgot to add......accuquilt.com also has free pattern offers and lots of patterns and books for purchase.

BellaBoo 05-23-2013 10:16 AM

I use the 6 1/2" tumbler die a lot. It's great to sew small scraps together and then cut the tumblers. It makes a very scrappy look! I about have my large rag die worn out. My DD bought me the log cabin die for Mother's Day. I haven't used it yet but it will be next on my list. I have a lot of the specialty try me dies. The large 9 inch hex die is perfect for a fast quilt. Accuquilt has many dies 50% for Memorial day sale, I missed getting the confetti die this morning for 1/2 off! It's sold out. I use the 2 1/2" strip die for binding and sashing strips. I use the 2 1/2" square die more then I thought I would. The small square die was a gift from a secret pal. I'm more excited to find a great sale on the mats then the dies. I keep a big supply of mats in my stash. I use my Go for 99% of my quilt blocks.

Phyllis42 05-23-2013 11:38 AM

I just ordered the frog die for 50% off on the accuquilt website.

Yosamitesa 05-23-2013 12:21 PM

I got the 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" rectangle when it was a die to try and LOVE IT!!! Definately a must have!!!

RavenLunaStitch 05-23-2013 12:31 PM

I love my Go Baby! I got the smallest one because it was on sale for around $79. It stays out all the time and I use it for almost everything. Do I wish I had gotten the larger one? Not really--for the money the Baby does everything I need & want.

I try to cut thrift store finds into usable pieces right away so they're always ready to be sewn (a sort-of scrap system that makes it easy to use them). I use my 5" square, 2.5" strip and 3.5"x6.5" brick dies the most. I just ordered the small tumbler and I think I'll use that a lot too. I have purchased all of my dies at Nancy's Notions because they are (almost always) at least 30% off retail even when they are not "on sale."

Suzan88 05-23-2013 01:05 PM

Look up Ebony Love quilt designer. she has about 50 tutorials on how to use the die cutters and a lot of advice on which ones to get first. The strip cutters for example can be used to create squares and other shapes. I have the accuquiltaccucut Go and the Studio and recently added the Sissix BigShot and am following Ebony's advice on how to mix and match what can be cut on each machine.