Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on Flannel as Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-flannel-backing-t25190.html)

nursie76 09-07-2009 06:56 PM

I just finished cutting out a quilt for my husband for Christmas, thanks to Justwannaquilt providing me with the website that yielded the kit.

I have a question. The kit included backing, but I am seriously considering using flannel for the backing. I have also heard that Minky, although expensive is nice too. This quilt will be for hubby (and me too) to cuddle up under while watching movies this winter and I thought the flannel would be extra snuggly.

Any advice?

Also, what type batting? So far the only thing I have used is Warm and Natural.

Boston1954 09-07-2009 07:02 PM

I made one not too long ago, and used Warm and Natural batting. It came out just fine. And you are right, They are nice and warm.

nursie76 09-07-2009 07:04 PM

Anne, do you mean you used Warm and Natural and flannel on the back?
Was it hard to quilt with the 2 types of fabric? (regular cotton on top and flannel on the back)

live2quilt 09-07-2009 07:04 PM

Nursie76

My husband is always cold, even in summer. I made him a quilt and put warm and namutal and a flannel back and it is king size. Heavyyyy, but won't sleep with out it, lol.
100% cotton ft and washes fine.
Hope this helps.

live2quilt

live2quilt 09-07-2009 07:05 PM

warm and natural
sorry
live2 quilt

nursie76 09-07-2009 07:12 PM

Live2quilt - Thanks, that certainly sounds like it worked for you! Did you have any problems with the quilt sandwich shifting? If you can do it with a king, I should be able to manage a oversized lap quilt.

live2quilt 09-07-2009 07:22 PM

No problems at all. Did a neat patern on front called sticks and bricks.
My husband loves it.
The only problem I have with it is it is so heavy lol
but using the warm and natural and flannel really makes it warm.
Good Luck

live2quilt.

Quilter Bug 09-07-2009 07:26 PM

The flannel backing is nice and at the moment I am working on one for my daughter that has a 100% cotton top and flannel backing. I have been told that the flannel may not wear like the cotton will after repeated washings. However, I have not washed one that many times to check it out. Just something to keep in mind. I have also used fleece as a backing with poly batting and a cotton top. It works well using an open quilting design.

Pats8e8 09-07-2009 09:12 PM

I have stockpiled flannel sheets to use for backs. It's my number one choice. We had a store here that would get them in around Sept. and you could buy any size flat sheet for $5. I have 3 containers of them. But alas, the store folded this year with the economy. :(

BlueChicken 09-07-2009 09:54 PM

Our absolute favourite couch quilt (the one the kids all fight over) is backed with a faux fur throw! lol

It feels awesome, and is so warm and snuggly. It provided a few challenges quilting it, with the long fur getting stuck under the quilting stitches. But over time they've come back out and now you can't see any quilting from the back.

You'd be surprised what you can use for backing with a bit of imagination. ;-)