Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question-Hobbs 80/20 fusible batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hobbs-80-20-fusible-batting-t253117.html)

cowpie2 09-05-2014 01:07 PM

Question-Hobbs 80/20 fusible batting

Looking to find out how the Hobbs 80/20 fusible is. I generally use the regular Hobbs 80/20, but thought the fusible might be helpful for a quilt as you go project. Anyone have any experience? Does it wash up nice with the adhesive disappearing, will it hold well enough on small projects, any issues with gumming up the needle.....

Mdegenhart 09-05-2014 01:30 PM

I like it a lot for small projects. We used it in a couple of my classes. I think it would be hard to to do a "bigger-than-throw" size with it. After washing I find the thickness much like the quilters dream batting. In other words, not thick like the warm & bright.

Scraplady 09-05-2014 01:40 PM

I used to use this batting almost exclusively, and for large projects too. It is a bit of a pain to fuse a big quilt because you need a very large space where you can lay it out AND iron it. My living room floor was perfect. I used the really big T-pins to pin the backing directly into the carpet. Then I'd lay out the batting and smooth it flat and pin it. Then do the same with the top. I would sit in the center and start pressing from the center out. After I'd gone over the whole surace, I would flip it over and press the reverse side. I used safety pins just to hold the outer edges in place. If it started coming loose as I worked, a quick press with the iron would fuse it in place again. All the stiffness from the glue washes out. And it seems to wear about the same as the regular 80/20. The only reason I don't use it as often is because the price went up. Since I started making things to sell, I buy the big rolls of Warm and Natural since it's more affordable for me.

Tartan 09-05-2014 01:43 PM

I love Hobbs 80/20 fusible for small projects and it would work great for QAYG. I really like it for sew and flip out piecing as well as I can iron out my pieces and then sew the next strip on. You can re-iron if needed as well. I cover any exposed batt with a Teflon pressing sheet so it doesn't stick to the iron. It washes up nicely in my quilts as well.

nativetexan 09-05-2014 01:53 PM

I've used that fusible quite a lot and it never gummed up my needle. The quilt can be a bit stiffish to sew on but it wash's (rinses) out well. I lay my quilt layers on a folding table, iron/fuse where i can, move the quilt and do the sides, etc. Then turn over and do the other side.

cowpie2 09-05-2014 04:09 PM

Thanks quilters. Sounds like it will be worth a try. I am trying to do some of my own quilting and it is more manageable to do in sections but pinning wasn't working as well as I would have liked so I will give the fusible a try.

ckcowl 09-05-2014 04:24 PM

I have used it for tree skirts, it was great to work with and really was a better choice than a few other products I had tried. I haven't tried it for big projects. Table runners, plkacemats, tree skirts, totes and purses it is my *go-to* batting

Kwiltr 09-05-2014 08:03 PM

I like it for small projects and have done up to a 63x86 quilt with it. It doesn't gum up the needle. I did a small table runner that was QAYG style and that called for Pellon fusible, but I had the Hobbs fusible on hand an it worked just fine. The only thing I didn't like about it was with the way it is packaged, it comes out all bubbled and stretched when you pull it apart and the batting seems inconsistent in thickness as a result. I dampened the last one I used with a fine mist and took my hair dryer to it and patted it down and that really helped get it to lay flat enough to use.