Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a question i'm always asked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-im-always-asked-t123760.html)

SuzanneG 05-17-2011 10:39 AM

I'm usually working on two or three quilts at one time. So while I'm piecing on one, I'm quilting on another and maybe have a third that I'm about to sandwich, so this question always stumps me too. I don't keep a tally or watch the clock (or calendar! lol) for each quilt, so I never really know how to answer. I think I like the suggestion of "longer than you think" though! I might just borrow that one from now on. :-D :-D :-D

mic-pa 05-17-2011 10:46 AM

Way too long and way too much money. However I have made one lap size in a weekend, the top that is. And then it took me 7 years to do one totally by hand. So there is no right or wrong answer

leiladylei54 05-17-2011 10:49 AM

[quote=mic-pa]Way too long and way too much money.

I really like that answer and need to remember to use it.

dakotamaid 05-17-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I tell them that each quilt is unique, and that I never know how long it will take until it is finished. :D:D:D

Great answer, this is pretty much what I say.:)

SheilaofDC 05-17-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

I tell them that each quilt is unique, and that I never know how long it will take until it is finished. :D:D:D

I like this answer, as I agree, it depends on the pattern, mode and time allotted.

patricej 05-17-2011 11:38 AM

i can't see any logical reason to be bothered by the question, so i would just tell them how long it took me to make it.

Jennifer22206 05-17-2011 11:40 AM

I typically say "a lot longer than I originally planned."

thequiltmama 05-17-2011 11:56 AM

ditto :)

Originally Posted by SheilaofDC

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

I like this answer, as I agree, it depends on the pattern, mode and time allotted.

Murphy 05-17-2011 12:15 PM

Yes, this is what I say as well.

Kappy 05-17-2011 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I typically say "a lot longer than I originally planned."

My thoughts exactly! Although I know this is not a helpful answer...it's sort of like how my Mom would make bread, when I asked her she would say, add enough, or , until it looks and feels like this! I did learn how but a little more clarity would have been nice. If they are really interested and actually thinking about quilting, I would try come up with a ball park number for them. And then tell them..that's on a good day! ;)