Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for LAmers, do you quilt the length?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-lamers-do-you-quilt-length-t278720.html)

mamagrande 05-16-2016 08:23 PM

Question for LAmers, do you quilt the length??

If you have a quilt that is 66 x 78 do you quilt on the length rather than the width?? You have less passes on pantos. Is it wrong and does it depend on the pattern? I am sometimes afraid of the quilt police..haha

dunster 05-16-2016 08:32 PM

I might load it either way, depending on the direction of the seams in the backing and also on whether I want the top to be laid out in a particular way while I'm quilting. I don't do pantos, so my decision is not based on that. I do like to be able to load it sideways though, because there's less rolling.

Tiggersmom 05-16-2016 09:58 PM

I've done lots of pantos and have loaded both ways. Depends on what looks best on the quilt.

cindi 05-17-2016 12:35 AM

I don't do a lot of pantos, but I almost always load length-wise. I'd say it depends on the panto. If it's not directional, go for it!

PaperPrincess 05-17-2016 03:56 AM

I'm with Dunster and usually load it so I can quilt the longest portion before I roll. I don't do many pantos and I think it would depend on the design. The ones that nest well look like all over designs so you could load the quilt any way you'd like.

ManiacQuilter2 05-17-2016 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom (Post 7551600)
I've done lots of pantos and have loaded both ways. Depends on what looks best on the quilt.

I agree with this. When I take my quilt to a LAQ, I want the quilting to look the best way on my quilt.

RobertaK1 05-17-2016 09:15 AM

It really depends on the quilt and the panto. But if it is a charity quilt and I need to get it done , long ways much faster.

caspharm 05-17-2016 09:17 AM

I load my QOV quilts lengthwise, partly because it is quicker and also the pantos I use are more fun if there is more to the row.

For other quilts, it depends on what I am doing for quilting.

Snooze2978 05-17-2016 10:01 AM

I do all robotic quilting so it will depend on how the quilt is laid out (the type of blocks). One quilt was all wide strips laid up and down and I wanted to do a feather chain down the length of it so my best bet was attaching it lengthwise across the frame instead of widthwise. I chunk my borders so it doesn't matter which direction the quilt is for that portion.

Otherwise I would think it would depend on how you want the quilting to look on that particular quilt. Sometimes if the pantos is close enough you can't tell where one row stops and the next one starts. Looks like all one big pattern.

quiltingshorttimer 05-17-2016 06:41 PM

I try to load lenght wise cause it means fewer rolls--but sometimes patterns or quilts just call for it to be loaded with top on top.