Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for long arm quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-long-arm-quilters-t178270.html)

gellybean402 02-05-2012 03:14 PM

question for long arm quilters

I was quilting today on my long arm and after finishing about 2 1/2 rows realized my tension was off. I had so many eye lashes I had to take all of the quilting out! I have zippered leaders and had unzip one end to be able to take out the stitching. When I went to put it back on the zippers, the quilt gets all bunched up and I can't get it back on evenly. There are areas on the quilt where I did meandering so I can't just take it all off and start loading it again. Does anyone have an easier way to reload this? I took off the front bottom of the quilt to get the bumps out but now I can't figure out how to reload it without it being lumpy!
HELP!!

momto5 02-05-2012 04:36 PM

Use lots of basting (or even pins but BE CAREFUL!) to get it to lay reasonably flat. It probably stretched when you had to handle it so much..and sorry, but I don't know of an easier way to reload...good luck!!

dunster 02-05-2012 07:21 PM

Bummer. I have taken all the stitching out of a quilt before, when I wasn't happy with how it looked. It would be better to do that than to try to quilt it when it's not loaded correctly. I hope you can get it figured out.

mighty 02-05-2012 09:42 PM

Oh so sorry. I would reload, but that is just me. Good luck.

katz_n_kwiltz 02-06-2012 05:38 AM

well, eyelashes are a problem..BUT can be easily taken out, just pull the bottom thread. as far as taking a leader off, thats tough. because, most of the time, it can set your quilt wonky, sometimes the best thing to do is take the whole thing off.
yes, meandering is a pain to take out..but..if you must..
katz

lvaughan 02-09-2012 05:58 PM

Hello, what did you decide to do with your quilt? I am having a similar dilemma. On Saturday my machine is getting a house call and I have a top loaded that I can't finish until afterwards. I have two rows quilted and don't want to rip-out so need to figure out how to reload it later. I am concerned about it being square and straight. I want to know if it would make it easier if I basted the sides and end before unloading. I will have to roll all three layers on the belly bar when it is reloaded. Hopefully this makes sense to someone! How would you go about this?

Silver Needle 02-09-2012 08:00 PM

I have APQS Millenium, I don't know if that makes a difference, but I zipper to my leaders and took one quilt off 3 or 4 times to do other things without a problem. Here's what I do.

I would suggest unloading the whole quilt. Then check for wonkiness by laying it out on floor. If areas have stretched starch and steam and press them until you are square (or close) again. Reattach to the take up roller and roll up to where you ripped out. Then reattach only the backing to your front roller (partial float). Slowly roll up the backing fabric making sure there are no wrinkles or puckers. You will need to flip up batting and top out of your way. It's easier with 2 people. Do not roll top or remaining batting on any rollers. Flip fold the batting so you can gently work it right over the backing fabric (might need to loosen backing for slack) and under the roller for the top, letting excess drop to floor. Follow the same process for the top. Smooth top to feel for any wrinkles in batting or backing. Tighten backing roller, baste sides of top and proceed to quilt. Hope this helps you.

Janyquilt 11-20-2013 09:46 AM

I also have removed one quilt several times from the frame and repaired areas I didn't like. I reattached to the take up roller and floated the back and batting and reattached the quilt top to its roller. Sometimes it is easier to rip out and start over. Good luck.