Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Longarm quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-longarm-quilters-t169793.html)

aborning 11-26-2011 06:31 AM

I baste along the top edge of my top border. If I am doing something different in the center of the quilt and then quilting the borders different, I then stitch in the ditch in the inner edge of the border. I then do the entire center of the quilt. I baste, with a long stitch, along the outer edge of the two side borders as I go along. I also stich in the ditch along the two side inner borders as I go along--so when I get to the bottom of the quilt, my borders are all stiched in the ditch on the inner edge. When I get to the bottom border, I stitch in the ditch along that inner border and baste the outer edge of it. I now go back up to the top and start to quilt my borders. I like to do the top border, then do the bottom border, then take off the quilt and turn it and repin it on -- so my side borders are now on on the top and bottom of the frame. I then quilt them. I only do that if I am doing a complicated design that I don't want to keep stopping to advance the quilt, or if I can't do it as coordinated giong vertical as I can do it going horizontal. If I am doing jsomething simple such as meander or piano keys, I then do not take the quilt off to turn it. I have only been long arm quilting about 10 months so I am also still learning how I like to do things. We all learn as we go along how we like to do the quilting.

QuiltingGrannie 11-27-2011 05:25 PM

Once I have a quilt loaded onto the frame to longarm, I baste across the top to make sure it is straight and secure. I then baste down the sides to secure and keep it straight, going as far down to the bar as I can go.

I then quilt it left to right once I figure out the size of the pattern I am using and how it will all fit where I want it (when using the computer designs and system).
When doing free motion only quilting I still start at the left side and work to the right side. Top to bottom, rolling and basting the sides as I go.

I will either do STD on the thinner borders or a complete design if the borders are wide enough.

I generally let my quilt batting and quilt top 'float' while I quilt it until I get to the very end. Then pin to secure in place while I quilt the final border.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry

katz_n_kwiltz 01-08-2012 11:15 PM

I sew what I can, start in the middle and work out, easier to work out wrinkles.
sometimes i will leave a border or two to do, after i take the quilt off and turn it so i can do it all in one line.
good luck,
katz

quilticing 01-09-2012 03:22 AM

It definately depends on the quilt and the pattern(s) chosen. If I can't do all the borders as I go, I pin the areas then go back to them.

brushandthimble 01-09-2012 05:35 AM

I have done it both ways, stitching borders as I work down, and SID and stitching outside edge only and turning the quilt.
I float all my tops and batting, and measure each roll to keep quilt square. You will find what works for you.