Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Longarm Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-longarm-quilters-t296994.html)

Rhonda K 05-17-2018 12:15 PM

Question for Longarm Quilters

and Quilters too...

Do you check the backing fabric as you quilt to make sure there are no wrinkles?

As we know in the quilting world, Stuff Happens! I received my quilt back from the quilter and there is a fold down (1/4 inch each side) for about 25 inches. There are other issues too.

I am not a "live with it" girl in this case. This was a time intensive project with machine embroidery which involved multiple hoopings, over 90 lady bags, plus one inch sashing blocks.

My decision is made and I am UN quilting. Yes stitch-by-stitch and 50 inches x 50 inches. It will be re-quilted by a different quilter and loved again. LOL!

Do you check your backings? Do you re-adjust the different layers?

Just wondering the correct process to help me understand. Thank you.

PS: I will address all the issues at a later date with the original quilter.

tallchick 05-17-2018 01:10 PM

Ouch, I’m sorry that happened to you, they should have checked over everything before returning it back to you! And absolutely it’s not acceptable and I would contact them about it!
When I am long-arming, I check my quilt back a bazillion times throughout the process to ensure that my stitches are good, and that there are no issues going on. I do not want to spend my time frogging!!

dunster 05-17-2018 01:25 PM

The back should be tensioned on both sides to prevent this. I would definitely take it up with the longarmer.

pewa88 05-17-2018 01:53 PM

Yes, I check the back many times during the quilting process. In fact everytime the quilt is rolled. I also use side clamps to keep tension on the backing. The quilter needs to be told that you were not satisfied.

Maggie_Sue 05-17-2018 02:12 PM

Perhaps speaking with the quilter should be done before you unquilt it.

Barb in Louisiana 05-17-2018 03:03 PM

I only long arm for myself, but yes, I check the back as I go. Each time I roll, I look at the part that I just quilted. I float my batting and my top, so before I start the next stitching, I check the back part coming up. I should add that my older long arm machine can throw it's own little fit every once in a while, and I have had to rip out the last row of panto stitching more than once, therefore, I am extra diligent. I can reload, but I don't like too.

Edited to add: It sounds like she didn't clamp the sides to stabilize them. If she has a 30" Longarm, that would be one rolling if she used a wide stitching pattern.

QuiltNama 05-17-2018 04:44 PM

Rhonda, I check each roll to make sure there are no wrinkles. If one gets past me after I take it off, its my job to frog and fix it for the customer. That's what they are paying me for. Please contact your LA person before you spend a lot of time taking out. Brenda

Rhonda K 05-17-2018 04:55 PM

Thank you for your comments Everyone! It helps me understand the process.

Yes, I will update the quilter at a later time. My focus is UNquilting for now and rescuing my project.

ETA: There was a typo in my original post. It should say "bugs" not bags. LOL!

Barb in Louisiana 05-17-2018 05:20 PM

At least take pictures so that you can show her what happened. She should have caught it when it came off the machine.

quiltingshorttimer 05-17-2018 05:29 PM

Rhonda, if you had a sewn in wrinkle/pucker, definitely contact the LA quilter and ask that she/he fix it. Definitely should be free of puckers when it goes home!

That being said, one reason I prefer to have customer use my backing is that I can make sure it's square--unsquare/wonky backing is more likely to result in puckers or weird wrinkles--but a wrinkle going straight down would mean the sides weren't clamped well and straight across would just be weird!

I would also add that when customers hand me a backing that is unpressed and don't want to pay to have me press, I will load and then spray with water and roll back/forth and let dry to get it smoother.