Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on mitered corners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-mitered-corners-t97352.html)

Boxer mom 02-06-2011 04:16 PM

Can you mix a miter with a regular straight?
I did the first border with a miter because of the stripes in it, so does the final border need to be mitered to look right? Or will it look just to funny to have 2 different corners?

MadQuilter 02-06-2011 04:18 PM

I either miter or I don't but I have never mixed.

GrammaO 02-06-2011 04:23 PM

why not? As long as it is pleasing to you....like I read all the time here, there aren't any quilt police, so do what you like with your fabric. That would be like mitering an interior border and doing a seminole or some other pieced border on the outerone. I'd love to hear what more experienced quilters say.

MTS 02-06-2011 04:25 PM

Usually, if there are multiple borders (stripes, solids, prints, whatever), the separate fabrics would be sewn together, then attached to the quilt, resulting in ONE continuous miter.

There is a bit of matching involved as you make the miter (at each fabric change, plus the stripes, if there are any), but it's a much more elegant, finished look.

If you've already attached the first border, I would continue with putting miters on the rest of the borders (but definitely join them if there will be more than one additional - making sure it's long enough to the miter on the final size). It sometimes requires a bit of adjusting to get a miter to line up exactly with a previous miter. Ask me how I know this.:roll:

I suppose you could use cornerstones as a way to get around it. But then it's your quilt. You can do whatever you want. :-D

costumegirl 02-06-2011 04:33 PM

What would the judges say at a quilt show?

I just happen to be struggling with this same dilemma - I have a striped inner border and a polka dot outer and would like to enter my quilt in our local quilt show. - I was told by an experienced quilter that the rule is 'mitering for stripes' because it gives a more pleasing effect.
Does it matter? Should I make them both mitered so that your eye will flow easier from the corner to the quilt design?
I'll definitely be watching this discussion- thanks Boxer Mom for posting the question.

tjradj 02-06-2011 04:39 PM

In a show quilt I would be consistent in doing the borders all in one way.
However, it's your quilt. And there are no quilt police, despite what some would like you to think:)

MTS 02-06-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Should I make them both mitered so that your eye will flow easier from the corner to the quilt design? .

If you haven't yet attached them to the quilt, it's really not any more difficult to do 2 fabrics at the same time.

And the end result is noticeable for the better, I think.

Holice 02-06-2011 04:48 PM

i believe it depends on the pattern in the border fabric. Some just look better mitred. However, having said that, I probably would not mix but do them the same to keep the look of the edge consistent.

sewwhat85 02-06-2011 05:57 PM

i would miter all of them

Pam H 02-06-2011 09:08 PM

I haven't been quilting long but at a class I took we were taught to sew your borders together and miter them all at the same time.