Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for paper piecers! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-paper-piecers-t144693.html)

xray_a 08-12-2011 02:16 PM

I have precut all of my fabric pieces, but there always seems like there's a little excess that needs to be trimmed. And yes I guess I am asking about chain piecing a bunch of units at once. Although, I'm not sure it would work since some of the seams on the units start or end in the middle of the piece.

The pattern is the Christmas Celebration tree skirt from Quiltworx. It's a gorgeous pattern and I'm really pleased with it so far. The tediousness of the process is what's getting to me right now, haha.

xray_a 08-12-2011 02:17 PM

here's a link to my post in the Pictures forum.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-144266-1.htm

mmonohon 08-12-2011 02:21 PM

I always measure all the pieces before I cut anything. Then divide into color groups. Then fold all the lines. Then cut and package for different blocks. Then I can just sit and sew.

The first 3 steps I do while watching tv.

seamstome 08-12-2011 02:26 PM

I do a fair amounnt of pp'ing and I will do all of the step 1's and then all of the step 2's. If you are doing a quiltworx pattern then you dont have to worry about what size piece of fabric to cut. Her patterns are quite intricate so they take time.

ube quilting 08-12-2011 02:52 PM

You most certainly can chain piece when PP. Get all the first peices ready, then sew them, snip apart, fold, flip, cut, iron.
Repeat with second piece. You have to be very organized 'cause you have to have all your fabric pre-cut and in the right order, but it can be done.

I prefer to make one block at a time. It just feels like more more is accomplished to me and I can put the blocks on the design board and see what I've done. This drives me to do the next block.
peace

pocoellie 08-12-2011 05:44 PM

I paper piece like Lori S, but one thing I do differently than all the "rules" say, is I cut the seam allowance OFF on the paper and just add it to the fabric, this way you're not fighting to get the paper off in the seam allowances.

jayelee 08-12-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by xray_a
I am currently working on a Christmas tree skirt that is almost entirely paper pieced. This is really my first project paper piecing, but I do have the basics down. My question is this. Is there any way to use my time a little more efficiently? Right now this is how I'm working. I put the next fabric piece into place, sew, press, fold and trim the excess. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have a lot of units ready, sew them all, then press them all, then trim them all, instead of doing each one at a time. Or does it not make a difference in the long run?

Angela

I do several units at a time I have found that it is easier to do the same pieceseveral times and get it all done and go on to the next Chain piecing is what I do I guess

amma 08-13-2011 11:49 AM

I cut out all of my pieces at one time. I sew all of the #1 and 2's together, trim, press and then move on to number 3. Chain piecing is the best way to go for me :D

I do make a practice block first to make sure my pieces are cut the right size first, and then I cut them all out :D:D:D

jayelee 08-15-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I cut out all of my pieces at one time. I sew all of the #1 and 2's together, trim, press and then move on to number 3. Chain piecing is the best way to go for me :D

I do make a practice block first to make sure my pieces are cut the right size first, and then I cut them all out :D:D:D

Exactly the way I do it Having taught myself its nice to know I am doing it right

MommaDorian 08-15-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut all the fabrics , I do not cut them exact I allow for generous "flip flubs".
Then I sew all the number ones , flip , press , trim , then the number 2 and so on .
I do chain piece all the of the same number rather than stop and cut thread and start again. This may not be best if its really large units.

This is how I do it too.