Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question for quilter's with machine/frame set up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-quilters-machine-frame-set-up-t175708.html)

Debbie B 01-15-2012 08:41 AM

question for quilter's with machine/frame set up

Not too long ago I bought a used Gracie II frame with a Juki TL-98 sewing machine. I love using it and knew ahead of time that the sewing area would only be about 4" to 4 1/2" across the quilt. So far I've gotten pretty good at stipling and 4" pantographs. My question is: Can you roll up the quilt with the needle still down to keep your place on the block? Or would this hurt the machine or the quilt? If anyone has this sort of set-up and can give me some suggestions for doing the quilt blocks...I would sure appreciate it. I'm not very good at stopping, rolling and keep the exact same place. Thanks!

jlm5419 01-15-2012 08:53 AM

This is a really good question. The thing I would worry about using this method is the needle. You'd be putting the weight of the machine against the needle, which could bend it and cause you all sorts of trouble. If you wanted to try it, make sure your needle is ALL THE WAY down, and roll the quilt with one hand while pushing the machine back with your other hand. I tried using pantographs, so I know what you mean about trying to keep your place. It's all a learning process.

An Arm Long 01-15-2012 09:13 AM

I do that sometimes with my longarm Crown Jewel and have not had a problem. The machine moves so smoothly but I do keep one hand on the machine as I roll with the other to prevent pressure on the needle.

alleyoop1 01-15-2012 09:58 AM

I too have a "regular" sewing machine on a quilt frame. As long as I unlock the ratchets at each end of the pole holding the backing, top and batting, and roll carefully, I do not bend or harm the needle. Everything moves freely.

Don't limit yourself to 4" pantographs - challenge yourself with a wider one and do 1/2 on the first pass and the second half on the next pass. I intend to try this with my next quilt! :)

Debbie B 01-15-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 4876870)
I too have a "regular" sewing machine on a quilt frame. As long as I unlock the ratchets at each end of the pole holding the backing, top and batting, and roll carefully, I do not bend or harm the needle. Everything moves freely.

Don't limit yourself to 4" pantographs - challenge yourself with a wider one and do 1/2 on the first pass and the second half on the next pass. I intend to try this with my next quilt! :)

I bought a stencil called Lady Slipper and had planned to do exactly what you are talking about. I was going to mark my quilt & quilt the top half and then quilt the bottom half of the stencil in another pass over, but chickened out:( and I just did the stipling all over it. I think I may put a couple cheap flat sheets with batting & practice doing larger pantographs & stencils. Maybe even mark out some 12" blocks with marker & practice rolling the quilt with the needle down. Thanks so much to all who answered my question.

garysgal 01-15-2012 03:13 PM

I have a Juki mid arm and do this all the time. Like what was pointed out, make sure you release the ratchets at the ends and roll it carefully. Make sure the needle is all the way down. So far I haven't had a problem.

kapatt 01-15-2012 05:09 PM

I was taught by the professionals from whom I bought my system to carefully roll the quilt with the needle down in the quilt.

Joset 01-16-2012 05:02 AM

I will try that with my machine the next
time i have a quilt on it. but i am afraid of
breaking the needle. but i am going to try it.

lfletcher 01-16-2012 05:12 AM

I always roll up my quilt with the needle down. I have a Gammill and I was taught to do this because most pantograph patterns have a registration mark that you aim for. I have never had a problem.

Michellesews 01-16-2012 06:06 AM

I do it every time! How in the world ELSE would you do it? Make sure needle in all the way down and roll slowly.