Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on quilting frames (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-quilting-frames-t48095.html)

Bevanger 06-02-2010 10:22 AM

I saw a picture today for a big squareish frame (Joanns.com) for quilting and told hubby I'd love to have one for when I tie my quilts. Does anyone do it this way? I know many of you don't tie., but its got my curiousity going. Any pics of a quilt being tied using one? If this is something I decide on, I'll check Freecycle in my area. Thanks for anyones input

MamaBear61 06-02-2010 10:45 AM

I have tied quilts using my Gracie hand quilting frame and it works great keeps everything in place and allows me to reach under the quilt without moving everything. I used to pin them and do them on the table but I found that when I went under the quilt to bring the tie back up I was afaid of not keeping everything flat, so I had to use lots of pins to hold everything in place.

humbird 06-02-2010 10:56 AM

I tie quilts frequently. I do use a frame. Homemade PVC pipe that DH made for me. It was fashioned after a PVC pipe frame that we saw in a magazine, but he made it not quite so deep. I do pin bast before tying. I think you would like it better than on a table.

Bevanger 06-03-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I have tied quilts using my Gracie hand quilting frame and it works great keeps everything in place and allows me to reach under the quilt without moving everything. I used to pin them and do them on the table but I found that when I went under the quilt to bring the tie back up I was afaid of not keeping everything flat, so I had to use lots of pins to hold everything in place.

oh wow. ok this is sounding good. thanks dearheart

Bevanger 06-03-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
I tie quilts frequently. I do use a frame. Homemade PVC pipe that DH made for me. It was fashioned after a PVC pipe frame that we saw in a magazine, but he made it not quite so deep. I do pin bast before tying. I think you would like it better than on a table.

thanks for your input. i really appreciate it

quilting memaw 06-03-2010 06:26 AM

you can have hubby make one of wood. All it is - is a stretcher for quilts. As you tie you roll the quilt until you get down to the other end. Top and bottom of quilt is pinned then pin the sides. It will be stretched and then tie. We do it all the time at where I volunteer.

mary quite contrary 06-03-2010 06:34 AM

Four 2X4s work. Clamps on the corners. Rest the corners on the back of kitchen chairs. Thumbtack the back down. Lay on the batting then the top. Pin away. Or baste.

Bevanger 06-03-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by quilting memaw
you can have hubby make one of wood. All it is - is a stretcher for quilts. As you tie you roll the quilt until you get down to the other end. Top and bottom of quilt is pinned then pin the sides. It will be stretched and then tie. We do it all the time at where I volunteer.

hun, my hubby is not good at that kind of stuff sad to say.

quilting memaw 06-03-2010 11:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
it's like the other one said. 2x4's and the stand like this or something to make it stable. The cut and staple fabric to all sides of the 2x4's (tops). Then stretch it out.

Bevanger 06-04-2010 04:08 AM

[quote=quilting memaw]it's like the other one said. 2x4's and the stand like this or something to make it stable. The cut and staple fabric to all sides of the 2x4's (tops). Then stretch it out.[/quote

so cool. thanks for showing/telling me