Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question: Rag Quilts (fabrics) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-rag-quilts-fabrics-t66556.html)

EmsMom 09-24-2010 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I hope I am posting this question in the correct forum. I am new to these boards and new to quilting.

I am going to be making my first rag quilt. Would love any advice, tips, etc.

I bought pre-cut squares from ebay (I will post a pic) the fabrics are a mix (is it ok to have mix?): cotton, flannel and minky (only four squares of minky). I have tried to do some research on rag quilts and I am learning that minky doesn't "rag" . . . . however, I have seen pictures of rag quilts made from minky and they have ragged?? So I am a bit confused about that. Have any of you used minky for rag quilts?

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning lots on this forum!

Happy Friday everyone!

sharon b 09-24-2010 12:08 PM

I have never mixed fabrics like that , so I can't help with that , but love your colors and it will make a beautiful quilt :lol:

quilterjody 09-24-2010 12:16 PM

I've never used Minky but if it's the same feel as fleece it won't rag. I've mixed denim and flannel and had excellent results. I've seen flannel and cotten mixed with good results. Here's the funny thing...cheaper-made fabrics fray better.

MadQuilter 09-24-2010 12:21 PM

Flannel and cotton shrink at a different rate - the flannels much more than the cotton. Minkey almost looks like a knit, which would not ravel well at all.

Personally, I would stick to the flannel for the rag quilt OR the cotton. The amount and look of ravel will be different for each and I think it might look messy.

LovinMySoldier 09-24-2010 12:31 PM

I made a rag quilt for my niece with lady bug fabrics. I had like 12 different lady prints or something. I used flannel and cottons. Then I bought a bit of minky and put that in it too. I did not prewash anything. And it turned out just fine :) The minky doesn't rag very well but it still looks and feels very nice in the quilt. So I just made sure that I didn't put 2 minky pieces next to each other or as as a back piece to a front. So when you sew your blocks together you dont ever sew the minky with minky. I like to sew one row with the rag side up and then do the next side with the rag down. That way both sides are ragged. And you get 2 quilts instead of one. Also if you pick a different colors for the other side the contrast looks really fun when you rag it.

EmsMom 09-24-2010 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the great comments, tips and suggestions! I also really appreciate the prompt responses!! I posted on another forum and didn't get any answers LOL

I was thinking since I just have four pieces of the minky that I would that in the four corners???

I have a little while to think about what I will do. I am making this for my daughters birthday while she is away at Cispus. Hopefully I can do it in five days LOL

Latrinka 09-24-2010 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi EmsMom nice to meet you and welcome to the board! I did a flannel rag quilt (baby Quilt) a while back, and I got instructions off of youtube MissouriQuiltCo. She used minky or whatever that fabric is and it was precious. I did mine with several different prints like patchwork, came out real cute, will send pic, ok.

oatw13 09-24-2010 12:56 PM

I have mad several rag quilts combining fleece and flannel with good results.

The fleece (and minky) doesn't "rag" or unravel. But, you can (and do!) cut it along with the flannel and when you wash it, the edges still wrinkle up.

I say, go for it! I think it will be cute!
Be sure to post a picture when you are done! :)

SherriB 09-24-2010 01:35 PM

I have made lots of rag quilts and used cotton and flannel and it turned out great. I would guess that the cotton and flannel edges would rag nicely and hide the minky edges that don't. I love the colors and patterns you chose and it will be a beautiful quilt when you get it done. Please post a picture and show us!!

amma 09-24-2010 01:49 PM

Maybe 2 layers of cotton and one of minky?
Two layers would rag, and you cut through the minky too... Just a thought :D:D:D