Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question re: ironing surfaces on wood (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-re-ironing-surfaces-wood-t266990.html)

wildyard 06-29-2015 08:57 AM

Question re: ironing surfaces on wood

For those of you who have made ironing surfaces on wood tables, cabinets, etc. I have these questions. After using them a while, have you found the amount of insulation used between the wood and ironing surfaces sufficient and how much insulation did you use?

I want to use as little as possible because I want to make the reverse side a cutting surface so I don't want it to be spongy. The ironing surface I am going to use is one of those shiny aluminum fabrics meant to be used for ironing.

RST 06-29-2015 09:18 AM

Is your concern the potential for charring the wood if a hot iron is left on too long? If so, I can't really answer.

If your question is more about ideal pressing surface, this may help--
I have an old TV tray table that I converted to a pressing table with just a single layer of thermal batting and the metallic looking fabric over that. It's held up fine for quick pressing of piecing while I'm at the machine, but I prefer a lot more give like my ironing board for pressing yardage or pressing the fully pieced quilt. I think your answer is just -- it depends.

Tartan 06-29-2015 09:49 AM

I have a piece of 1/2 inch plywood as my ironing surface and made a sleeve for it out of an regular ironing board cover. It has minimal padding kind of like one layer of 80/20 batt and I like a firm ironing surface.

ManiacQuilter2 06-29-2015 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a June Taylor ironing board pad that is 24" x 70". I guess they don't make them anymore. I bought them over a decade ago when they went on clearance with a 70% discount. It fits pretty good on some additional storage from this Sterlite 4 drawer units that I bought on sale at Walmart.

imsewnso 06-29-2015 10:48 AM

Just went to a Ricky Tims seminar and Ricky suggested using a ceiling tile. Ricky covered his with a duck cloth. I have one that is fabric on one side, and the Teflon so steam a seam, stitch witchery or any of the sticky products peels off. the ceiling tile is first placed in a light batting made into a pillow case to fit it. This is much more portable than plywood. I have plywood on my ironing board. I covered it with an old wool blanket then with the silver ironing fabric. Like both of them.

mike'sgirl 06-30-2015 06:03 AM

The ladies at my guild just bring a piece of wood, maybe 15x15, to ladies day out Saturday sewing day. Nothing on it, just finished wood.
I put a piece of batting and muslin on my wooden tray table and after a while it ruined the finish. When I have laid my handmade portable ironing pad with silver material inside, down, it was protected.

mckwilter 06-30-2015 06:33 AM

I used a wooden TV tray purchased at WalMart. I put two layers of thin cotton batting and one layer of Teflon fabric, shiny side and stapled it to the underside of the tray, then made a cover with pillowcase ticking which I can remove and wash.