Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question re size of scrap for paper piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-re-size-scrap-paper-piecing-t219691.html)

msariano 04-21-2013 07:08 PM

Question re size of scrap for paper piecing

Hello all,
I'm making a paper pieced chinese fan. The seven blades are different widths and lengths. I'm not sure how to cut each piece. For a test, I cut a couple of pieces in the shape of the blade adding 1/4 seam allowance.
However, when I sew & turn the darn thing it is too small. Should I just cut a large rectangle, larger than the widest part of the blade? Is there a rule of thumb for cutting pieces for paper piecing? Thanks for any help.

dunster 04-21-2013 07:15 PM

It is certainly easier to cut rectangles that are **at least** 1/2 inches wider than the base of the blade, and 1/2 inches taller. That's how most of the Judy Niemeyer spikes are cut.

QuiltE 04-21-2013 07:30 PM

Guess what? I often work with the whole piece of fabric ... and trim after! :)

auntpiggylpn 04-21-2013 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6017908)
Guess what? I often work with the whole piece of fabric ... and trim after! :)

Ive done this a couple of times especially if I have sewn the same piece a couple of times and had it not work!!! :D

sandy l 04-22-2013 03:12 AM

Same here. Would rather do a bunch of trimming than have to re-cut fabric to try again:)

msariano 04-22-2013 10:22 AM

QuiltE and Auntpiggylpn--doesn't paper piecing with the whole fabric make it more cumbersome? I'm ready to tear my hair out as it is with the sewing, turning and trimming, etc. I guess I'll go with dunster's suggestion of cutting the pieces as a rectangle, 1/2 inch bigger all around. I my opinion, paper piecing wastes more fabric than cutting each template out. However, I go with it because the points are so precise. Back to the cutting board...

sweetana3 04-22-2013 10:39 AM

You can do some work cutting a template but 1) Make the resulting piece about 1/2 inch bigger all around until you are very experienced in in paper piecing and the specific pattern and 2) test before cutting more than one so you get a feel for the "way" the fabric appears after sewn and turned to cover the design.

Angles always cause me some issues and I have been paper piecing for a long time. Sometimes even halfway thru, I will sew a piece or two in backwards or have one too small. I also don't like to waste fabric so I start slowly and figure out the best way for the pattern I am using.

Nammie to 7 04-22-2013 10:42 AM

Paper piecing certainly can be a challenge, you think the piece is large enough and it isn't. I had to come to the thought that once the fabric is in my house it is free and I can do what I want with it. I love the points achieved when paper piecing. Every technique has it's own learning curve.

auntpiggylpn 04-22-2013 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by msariano (Post 6019138)
QuiltE and Auntpiggylpn--doesn't paper piecing with the whole fabric make it more cumbersome? I'm ready to tear my hair out as it is with the sewing, turning and trimming, etc. I guess I'll go with dunster's suggestion of cutting the pieces as a rectangle, 1/2 inch bigger all around. I my opinion, paper piecing wastes more fabric than cutting each template out. However, I go with it because the points are so precise. Back to the cutting board...

Yes it can be cumbersome. I am paper piecing my periwinkle quilt and I started cutting rectangles and it has worked out fabulously!

QuiltE 04-22-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6019332)
Yes it can be cumbersome. I am paper piecing my periwinkle quilt and I started cutting rectangles and it has worked out fabulously!

Yes, it can be cumbersone ... though it depends how big your piece of yardage is.

Although, I will say, I have used very large pieces and had no problems. After doing the FWS and PC quilts, pretty much all PPd, it's just second nature as to how I do it.