Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question regarding D9P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-regarding-d9p-t299107.html)

wildyard 08-25-2018 01:03 PM

Question regarding D9P

Have any of you ever made a quilt using the D9P pattern with the 9P squares as large as 6" finished, or larger?
I was thinking of making a bargello, and cut strips of each fabric at 6.5". Now I am having second thoughts about using such a large square in the bargello, and wondering if I could use them instead in a D9P.
Thoughts or suggestions?
Could I use that large a strip in a bargello?

toverly 08-25-2018 01:12 PM

I have made a D9P with 5 inch squares, I don't think the 6.5 squares would be much of a difference. It worked fine. I was using a fishing theme fabric and needed the images fussy cut. I can't say on the bargello, I have never done one of those.

Dina 08-26-2018 06:21 AM

I have never made a Bargello with strips larger than 3 inches, and I am playing with the idea in my mind. I suppose it would work...but I am anxious to read what others say. I just can't visualize it, so if someone has done this, I would sure like to see a picture. :) Could be interesting.

Dina

Austinite 08-26-2018 06:47 AM

I've never done a bargello but I don't see why someone couldn't use whatever width strips they darn well feel like! You would obviously want to make the strips work with the size quilt you're making to get the effect you want (I probably wouldn't do 6" width strips on a teeny baby quilt for example) but if that's the look you want then why not??

I'm already thinking about some of the lovely Cotton + Steel fabrics I've drooled over and wider strips...

bkay 08-26-2018 08:44 AM

I've done D9P and quilts that look like D9P (sashed with cornerstone) with 5" and 6 1/2 inch squares. 6 1/2 worked just as well as the 5". I used it on what I call "toddler" quilts, which is big enough for belly time on the floor or small enough for a "dragger" for those kids who love to drag around their quilts. (somewhere around 50X50)

bkay

ashiecat 08-27-2018 05:41 AM

Yes, I made a DP9 for my brother about 10 yrs ago (?) because I wanted something fast that still looked like it took some time to put together. I used 6" or 6.5" and 9 different fabrics - looked great and it did not matter that they were bigger blocks. As far as a bargello - not sure - but if you keep your subcuts in line with the larger strips (that means not cutting into skinny strips less than 1.5") then it should be fine. Or you could cut those 6/5" strips into 3" & 3.5".

wildyard 08-27-2018 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, since no one seems to have done a bargello with 6" strips, I decided I might as well be the one to give it a try. It's a basic simple pattern but for my first one, I'm totally pleased with how it looks on the wall. Tomorrow I'll start sewing it together![ATTACH=CONFIG]600155[/ATTACH]

Barb in Louisiana 08-27-2018 05:25 PM

And that's why they have so many different quilt patterns out there Linda. New techniques and arrangements are discovered all the time. Glad you stuck with it. I really like your fabric choices and the layering effect you have made.