Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question regarding handquilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-regarding-handquilting-t66431.html)

lab fairy 09-23-2010 07:11 PM

I was taught to use a single thread. My teacher was my MIL who comes from a long line of Mennonite quilters so I consider her my source. All the ladies at the church quilting bees used single threads as well.

There is a difference between the handquilting thread and the cotton thread you use in your sewing machine. NEVER use handquilting thread in your sewing machine because it is coated with a waxy substance that will gum up your machine. There are a couple brands at some popular stores that are easy to mix the two up. I finally noticed the spool was a different color (but not obviously so).

I always use beeswax (even on quilting thread) to make it easier to handle. I always use a tween needle. Wish those suckers could thread themselves. It seems the eyes just get smaller and smaller. :roll: Pretty soon I'm going to have to add a magnifying glass to my needlenose pliers when I'm handquilting.

Andii 09-23-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SandraD
Do you keep your thread single when hand quilting or double it? I've only been quilting since December and I've been doubling, but wonder if I'm doing it wrong (I'm basically self taught). Thanks for any advice!

Sandra,
Were you talking about quilting or piecing the blocks? I am learning too and when I first started piecing I doubled my thread because it felt stronger and honestly it was easier to tie a knot ;-) Now I am using a single thread and I like it better-it doesn't tangle as much. I haven't made it to the quilting stage yet.

Marquilt 09-23-2010 07:19 PM

Definitely single. You will be amazed at how much easier your quilting will be with just the one strand.

Borntohandquilt 09-23-2010 10:15 PM

For me single thread, too! I always use hand quilting thread and I love to do tiny little stitches... it looks great when the thtread is a few shades lighter or darker than the fabric.

Annya 09-24-2010 01:53 AM

Do you keep your thread single when hand quilting or double it? I've only been quilting since December and I've been doubling, but wonder if I'm doing it wrong (I'm basically self taught). Thanks for any advice!

I have seen professional quilters do it with only one thread so that is what you must use.

SandraD 09-24-2010 06:36 AM

I machine piece, so I'm referring to the hand quilting. And one of the reasons I began to think single was the correct way was because of all the tangles.

As for beeswax - I've never heard of this (again, self taught). Do you just put it on your fingers and run it along the thread before you begin?

lab fairy 09-24-2010 06:43 AM

Some beeswax pieces are sold in a little plastic box with guides for you to run the thread through. Otherwise, place the thread between a finger and wax and pull it through (you are essentially sliding the thread against the surface of the beeswax. Using your finger just helps keep it against the surface. I wish is were closer to show instead of tell. There are other thread conditioners you can use, this is just the one I was taught.

SandraD 09-24-2010 06:49 AM

And what does the wax do? I do use hand quilting thread already. Would I need the wax? Thanks for your help on this. I love this site. I feel like I'm getting free lessons. When I say 'self taught' I'm not giving all of you enough credit. I've learned SO much from this site! Thanks again.

deranged_damsel 09-24-2010 07:30 AM

I have used several different brands of thread... some tend to get tangled and wear faster, these I use wax for. coats and clark I never have trouble with, and needs no wax at all.

Jan in VA 09-24-2010 10:37 AM

And what does the wax do? I do use hand quilting thread already. Would I need the wax? ..... Thanks again.

The wax helps to prevent tangles in the length of thread and helps it slide through the fabric easier -- in some cases. Some hand quilting thread does not need it, it comes already "conditioned". You'll pretty much know if you need wax as you use the thread and it frustrates you by twisting and knotting up easily.

I hold the thread length against the wax with my right thumb while slowly pulling the thread along the wax. Then I knot.

Jan in VA