Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question on seam rippers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-seam-rippers-t309777.html)

rufree4t 02-16-2020 12:19 PM

question on seam rippers

I have a terrible time with seam rippers. They get dull so fast. I have tried different ones but have the same problem. What is the best one that stays sharp for a longer period of time.

Tartan 02-16-2020 12:37 PM

I prefer a pointed, sharp pair of thread snips. I clip every 3 to 4 stitch on the back and then pull the top thread from the top. I do not get any distortion of the pieces like you an get with a stitch ripper.

patricej 02-16-2020 01:14 PM

i never use my seam rippers as rippers.
i use them as stitch pickers.
sometimes i use it in the same way as tartan does.
sometimes i just pull 3 stitches at a time one one side.
if the stitch tension was right, that's about as easy and i don't have to pick any tiny threads away with tweezers.

This is the way I use mine also

thimblebug6000 02-16-2020 01:21 PM

The one I am using right now is called seam-fix and is good, it has the rubbery end to help wipe away the cut threads. I was gifted the same brand but larger and it is so big (and has two ends) that it is useless as a seam ripper. I just looked at my assortment and most don't even have a name on them. Good luck!

GEMRM 02-16-2020 01:34 PM

I love your signature line thimblebug6000!

juliasb 02-16-2020 02:37 PM

I love the ones that came with my machines. Other ones I have purchased such a Driz become dull so quickly. Ones made by Brothers can be purchased individually and I have some that are many years old and you would think were brand new.

nativetexan 02-16-2020 02:47 PM

I hate those pointed seam rippers. i tend to use my small scissors or my small rotary blade like Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day does.

Sheri.a 02-16-2020 03:16 PM

When I first started quilting, Clover #463 was suggested. I have since also purchased a Clover #482. Both are great and I have not noticed them getting dull. I have always been impressed with Clover -- they have great quality sewing equipment.

Kitsie 02-16-2020 03:55 PM

A wonderful trip I've discovered...

Sqeeze the seam gently with ends on thumb going to finger tip. The squeezing makes the stitch "loosen" just a little as it now "bridges" the gap in the fabric caused by squeezing. Makes a tiny space between the thread and the fabric like a little bridge. Point of ripper slides much easier under thread and allows thred to be cut with ripper or fine scissors.

quiltingshorttimer 02-16-2020 04:43 PM

I like a nice, inexpensive Dritz (blue handle usually) cause the handle is large enough and is flat so it doesn't roll off my sewing table. I do both pick out and rip (the red ball goes down/not seen and the point up--you can rip a nice straight longer seam quickly) and have at least 4-5 of these rippers. At the price, I try to pitch my dullest one when I buy a new one--about once a year.