Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on seams... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-seams-t49014.html)

ScubaK 06-09-2010 11:55 AM

You know when you have all the triangles come together...or all wedges like putting together a kalidascope block...
How do you do the seams? Seems to me like there is alot of bulk and then how do you get it to lie flat???
Thanks,
Kirsten

ckcowl 06-09-2010 12:01 PM

sometimes it helps to actually use a pencil and draw your 1/4" stitching lines, then you know exactly where to stop (at the cross points) instead of stitching across them, this helps reduce the bulk, then you press in a circular pattern around the block...all seams going in the same direction. there are some good tutorials for pinwheels that you could look at pictures to clarify...once you get the hang of it they go pretty smooth.
practice :) also helps

athenagwis 06-09-2010 12:06 PM

Haha when I did my One Blcok Wonder, I just stitched all the way and hoped that my needle wouldn’t break!! :) Seriously though, a good way to reduce bulk too is to press the seams open.

Rachel

amma 06-09-2010 12:37 PM

On the hexagons (OBW) I pressed all of my seams open, and they layed really flat, even after joining them all together.
Also a tip I learned on here :D have a small bowl of water near your pressing surface. Dip your finger in and place a drop of water on the center where all the seams meet, then press. Sometimes on the front side, too :wink: My hexagon blocks layed as flat or flatter than a 4 patch :D:D:D

Prism99 06-09-2010 12:47 PM

You can "fan" the seams at the intersection. I don't know how to describe this; maybe someone else can. You put your finger in the center, then turn each seam clockwise (or counterclockwise) so they create a fan in the center. A drop of water and pressing keeps them this way.

It can also help to unpick the thread inside the seam allowance.

ncsewer 06-09-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
You can "fan" the seams at the intersection. I don't know how to describe this; maybe someone else can. You put your finger in the center, then turn each seam clockwise (or counterclockwise) so they create a fan in the center. A drop of water and pressing keeps them this way.

It can also help to unpick the thread inside the seam allowance.

I went to a class on a hex block and the lady who made the pattern taught it. She had us work the center open with our finger until the center fanned out, just like you described. It worked pretty well.

Pam 06-09-2010 06:04 PM

If you leave it undisturbed until it cools (a few extra seconds) it will keep the press better.

littlehud 06-10-2010 06:22 AM

This is so interesting. I want to make a kaleidoscope quilt. Your hints will help a lot.

crashnquilt 06-10-2010 06:53 AM

If I am making a block that is going to have a lot of bulk at seams I do press all seams open. Then when I put the block together I press the seam open and while it is still hot from the iron I whack it with a heavy meat tenderizer (smooth side) and press again and let cool. This usually give me a pretty flat intersection.