Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on sewing over paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-sewing-over-paper-t32057.html)

pam1966 12-21-2009 04:11 PM

I have a quilt with a six-inch white border. My experience with any type of medium to mark fabric that claims to be "washable" is not good. I was wondering about putting the design I want to quilt on paper, putting that on my quilt and sewing through it.

My questions are: is there a special paper I need to use? Can I use a spray adhesive to anchor it, or should I pin it?

Thanks!

marsye 12-21-2009 04:27 PM

Sounds like you would be able to use freezer paper like you would when machine appliquing but I'm sure others can explain this better than I can.

Maride 12-21-2009 04:28 PM

There are several papers that are good for this. You will find them at your LQS. I use regular paper and make my stitches small to make it easy to peel off. Also, I have heard of people using the paper sold at the dollar store. It is lower quality and peels easy. I use pins to hold it in place.

I find that blue washable marking pens wash out perfectly well, but the trick is not to use heat after is marked, and make sure you mark after the fabric is cold.

Maria

amma 12-21-2009 04:58 PM

I would use regular paper too...or newsprint. I buy the roll ends very inexpensively...They are 4ft tall and last FOREVER :D:D:D Check with your local newspaper :wink:

kluedesigns 12-21-2009 06:41 PM

golden threads makes a paper just for quilting thru that pulls from the stitches with ease.

i've also used sulky water soluble stabilizer for quilting. just trace the quilt pattern onto the stabilizer and either pin or baste spray it onto the quilt top.

quilt as normal and then when your done remove the stabilizer and any little bits left behind will just come out in the wash when you wash the quilt.

if you don't plan to wash it then just wet all the little pieces and they will dissolve away.

janRN 12-21-2009 07:09 PM

I use exam table paper from the Medical Supply Store. A roll lasts forever and is inexpensive. It's sort of "crepe paper like" so holds to the fabric without a lot of slipping until you pin it in place (that was as clear as mud); it removes easily, too. I've also had trouble with blue "removable" marking pens and I don't heat set them. Maybe we got a bad batch. Exam table paper is also easy to trace designs because you can see through it.

dglvr 12-22-2009 12:16 AM

I save that brown paper with the instructions from the batting that its rolled with that works pretty well too. I just pin it down.
I'm no expert at it though. I've just tried it a few times on smaller tablerunners.

FinelyFabricated 12-22-2009 06:52 AM

I've used printer paper, the paper for paper piecing, marking pens and newsprint. I prefer the newsprint. I can get a roll from the local newspaper for about $4 and it lasts a long time. I have to cut it to fit in my printer for printing paper piecing patterns. It's a lot cheaper to do some of the work myself.

I find the smaller stitches work better, no matter what paper I use. I use temporary spray glue to put it on the quilt and I do small sections at a time. If there are lots of turns in the design or lots of crossing of previous lines I pin as well.

ponyriver 12-22-2009 07:32 AM

I have used Glad 'Press N Seal'. Marked it with a blue washable pen or ever a very thin sharpie. Place it on the fabric and it 'sticks'--quilt using short stitches and then use tweezers to gently tear away. Any small pieces will release with a spritz of water. I do this with my domestic machine as well as with a longarm machine.

dglvr 12-22-2009 09:09 AM

Pam thanks for posting this I'm getting some really good ideas from everyone. Thanks everyone for the ideas. :thumbup: