Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question: SID and hand quilting on same quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-sid-hand-quilting-same-quilt-t239226.html)

Maureen NJ 01-20-2014 04:47 AM

Question: SID and hand quilting on same quilt

I have a question for you experts. Sure you can help. I did a quilt top, Patriots in petticoats, which has 14 ten inch blocks of different designs with log cabin around, ribbon border, then piano key border. Since I want it to be "all mine" but I am still learning FMQ, I was thinking about basting it, then doing SID straight lines using my walking foot (enough so it meets the stitching requirement for the batting used). Then I thought about hand quilting designs OR doing binding and later going back and doing FMQ when I am better at it. What do you think? Pros or cons with combining stitch techniques. How would it look on the back which is an all over floral? Thanks. I'll try to post a picture.

JustAbitCrazy 01-20-2014 05:01 AM

I have combined dsm straight line stitching and hand quilted feathers on the same quilt, and it looks great, imho. I say go for it and get it finished, as opposed to waiting until you are happy with your fmq to finish it.

Maureen NJ 01-20-2014 05:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a good picture but you get the idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457557[/ATTACH]

PaperPrincess 01-20-2014 05:24 AM

Either scenario: sitd & hand quilting or sitd & later quilting other areas will work. Combining machine & hand quilting is a good way to go. You may not even have to hoop for the hand quilting portion. If you return to the quilt and add machine quilting after it's done, just don't make the additional quilting too too dense as that may distort the quilt. As long as you have followed the batting requirements, you will be fine.

Grandma Bonnie 01-20-2014 05:25 AM

It's beautiful! I don't think it would hurt a thing to do the machine quilting and hand quilting on the same quilt!

nanna-up-north 01-20-2014 05:32 AM

I've done machine and hand quilting on the same quilt and I think it looks wonderful. SID doesn't really show up on the front side but it will secure the quilt so you can FMQ or hand quilt later. And who is going to study the back side of the quilt??? You, maybe but not anyone else.... trust me.

It's your quilt, do what you want to do.

Stitchnripper 01-20-2014 05:45 AM

Me too, I have done SITD to stabilize blocks and then done hand quilting. I have been happy with the results.

Abby'smom 01-20-2014 06:11 AM

:thumbup: what a beautiful quilt!!

Jingle 01-20-2014 06:18 AM

Doesn't matter how it is quilted it is: BEAUTIFUL!!!

SueSew 01-20-2014 07:20 AM

Beautiful quilt!

I have done machine quilting and SID and then hand-quilted the floral medallion center in a simple follow-the-flower kind of outline. My quilt instructor at open class encouraged me to try it, and everyone said it looked nice, for what that's worth.