Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question on Singer 201 FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-singer-201-fmq-t163412.html)

ontheriver 10-26-2011 09:27 AM

I have my mega quilter on a frame but was using cheap brother to quilt small items like table runners, boo hoo the brother broke today. I know you can FMQ on a Singer 201. Question is what foot do I use? Do I have to order a special foot? Thanks for any help.

kwendt 10-26-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I have my mega quilter on a frame but was using cheap brother to quilt small items like table runners, boo hoo the brother broke today. I know you can FMQ on a Singer 201. Question is what foot do I use? Do I have to order a special foot? Thanks for any help.

Good question. I don't have my 201 back from the shop yet... but, I understand that Cindy over at Sew-Classic has different aftermarket emboidery/FMQ feet that will work on the different vintage machines. I don't know which ones particularly. Some people use the OEM Singer darning feet (low shank - vintage parts). Some use the newer 'hopping' plastic feet, but I believe I've heard that not all the feet work well with the various low shank vintage machines.

You might also do a Search on here. The VSMS (Vintage Sewing Machine Shoppe) group has a lot of knowledge. If you haven't already posed the question to the VSMS, you should.

thepolyparrot 10-26-2011 10:28 AM

The darning foot from your Brother should fit your 201. :)

I have at least 10 different darning feet from very expensive vintage to fairly expensive modern to cheap modern - and my favorite is the $2.99 plastic/metal one for low shank machines from sew-classic.com

Also, if you have a vintage quilting foot (a very short-toed foot with no "flex" at the ankle and a quilting guide attached to the back) for your 201, you can pull the quilting guide out of it and use it for free-motion quilting. (if you can decrease the pressure on the presser bar sufficiently to allow free movement of the quilt between stitches)

ontheriver 10-26-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The darning foot from your Brother should fit your 201. :)

I have at least 10 different darning feet from very expensive vintage to fairly expensive modern to cheap modern - and my favorite is the $2.99 plastic/metal one for low shank machines from sew-classic.com

Also, if you have a vintage quilting foot (a very short-toed foot with no "flex" at the ankle and a quilting guide attached to the back) for your 201, you can pull the quilting guide out of it and use it for free-motion quilting. (if you can decrease the pressure on the presser bar sufficiently to allow free movement of the quilt between stitches)

Thank you, will try the foot from the brother in the morning. Too tired now, was wondering why my mouse cursor would not move then I noticed it was a bug on the screen, LOL, so better not try anything new tonight.

Lostn51 10-26-2011 07:34 PM

I am putting this into the VSMS virtual forum for more views and I am betting that some folks in there will have a good answer for you!

Billy

sewbeadit 10-27-2011 01:03 AM

Didn't they have a spring thingy that they used for quilting on those older machines? Seems to me there is, but can't remember for sure.

Lostn51 10-27-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
Didn't they have a spring thingy that they used for quilting on those older machines? Seems to me there is, but can't remember for sure.

Some did but with all of my machines but one I just loosen the tension up on the presserfoot to none at all and drop the feed dogs to FMQ. I have a White that I have a hopping foot for that works like a charm.

Billy