Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question: Storm at Sea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-storm-sea-t184014.html)

faykilgore 03-26-2012 04:07 AM

Question: Storm at Sea

After following the post the IngeMK started requesting that we talk her out of making a SAS, I started finding pictures of them. What a gorgeous pattern! So, I bought the MM templates and some amazingly gorgeous material and started one. I chose the 12" block size, or 16" depending on what you consider a "block," and the blocks seem very large. I only have one corner done, so it's not too late to change sizes, but it's for a queen-sized quilt. Does it look better with the 9" block?

gollytwo 03-26-2012 04:20 AM

10" is the largest block I usually make.
I made a Storm at Sea many years ago - it's still one of my favorite quilts
I just went into my quilt room to get my quilt record books, but I can't tell looking at the pictures.
My guess would be that my double square in a square center is about 7". I think 9" for just that center would be too large.
Hope this helps.

dunster 03-26-2012 06:57 AM

There are so many different ways of making SAS, it's hard to say whether 16" would be too large, but for this type of quilt I don't think it would be. I think you get a better idea of the motion of the quilt if the blocks are large.

alikat110 03-26-2012 04:36 PM

I love this pattern....I have seen it done where the inner block is pieced also and then SAS completed around it....gorgeous!!!

faykilgore 03-26-2012 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the material I'm using, plus white, of course. The next pic is of the corner of the quilt, which includes the mostly white border. It's not assembled, yet, so will be a little smaller than it is in pieces.

SittingPretty 03-26-2012 04:53 PM

I've never seen it made that way. Usually I see just a double squares in square block surround by a square in a square in the 4 corners and the rectangles with the diamonds on the sides. This looks almost like 4 blocks in one. I think the swirly fabric is a wonderful choice, tho.

jacqueck 03-27-2012 02:14 AM

Great fabrics, your quilt will be wonderful. I'm concerned, also, about the pattern. It just doesn't look right, too much white. Usually the pattern is the square in a square. There is a LOT of white in the blocks you've made. Try drawing the pattern on paper and coloring in the blocks before you go too much further.

My quilt blocks are large too (already packed away for the summer so can't measure) and I believe they are at least 12". It is my favorite quilt and I'm sure you'll enjoy your quilt too when finished.

faykilgore 03-28-2012 03:25 AM

Hey, jacqueck, another Georgian!
Yes, I did draw and color all the blocks on a blank pattern I got online or I would never be able to put this thing together. I will post more pics as I get into the colors and see if there is still too much white. Unfortunately, the more I do, the harder it's going to be if I don't like it and have to cut down all those completed blocks.

quilter824 03-28-2012 10:01 AM

I made mine from a kit that connecting threads had but used a ruler set for sas and fell in love with it .was much easier than I thought.