Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question/survey...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-survey-t192962.html)

Maryde118 06-27-2012 04:25 PM

Question/survey......

When you are cutting out the parts to a quilt, do you cut them all out before starting to sew or do you cut some, sew some, cut some more, etc? I have just cut out the parts to the squares of a new quilt and think I will put the squares together before cutting out the sashings. Does anyone else do that? Just curious.....

EllieGirl 06-27-2012 04:32 PM

I cut and see. I do it in sections. Right now I'm making strps to add to the blocks, and I've cut the pieces and I'm sewing them together. Then once I've cut and sewn all of them I'll cut the borders.

PaperPrincess 06-27-2012 04:35 PM

Yep, that's how I do it. Cut all the pieces for the blocks and piece them. Sometimes i decide that i don't want sashing after all, so I usually don't cut the sashing until after the blocks are done. I HATE having to cut more fabric for blocks after I start sewing them. I usually cut enough for one or two extras to allow for errors.

nannyrick 06-27-2012 04:35 PM

I have yet to cut all pieces. I cut some, sew some and so on. I keep telling myself that I would like to cut all at once
but have not done so yet.

QuiltingKrazy 06-27-2012 04:35 PM

I do mine in stages too! That way if I decide to make a change in the middle of the project, I don't have to completely redo everything.

DogHouseMom 06-27-2012 04:36 PM

It depends on the quilt I'm working on I guess. I have an "Omigosh" half done and there were so many pieces in that (thousands) that I cut some then sewed some etc - needed the "break". Also, there was no way I could have kept track of all the pieces if I had cut them all first (even though it was strip pieced). In fact, I had to keep my pieces in a tray and work from the tray.

The one I am quilting now I cut all the strips first, then pieced, then cut the applique pieces all at once.

Some quilts that didn't have a lot of pieces to it I cut all the pieces first, then pieced it.

May in Jersey 06-27-2012 04:36 PM

I don't cut out everything beforehand. First I cut just enough to make several blocks to make sure they come out the way I expected, fabrics go well together and they are the correct size. You never know if you cut the pieces wrong and waste fabric or, what I usually do, change my mind about the block. After all my blocks are made and trimmed I'll cut the sashings and then the borders. I leave the binding for last. If I don't have enough fabric for the binding I can always piece several of the fabrics from the quilt to make the binding, I'd cut each fabric strip 18 to 20 inches.

Dolphyngyrl 06-27-2012 04:38 PM

I usually cut everything except the borders

Pat625 06-27-2012 04:58 PM

I cut the blocks first, and then make sure I like the sashings/borders I was going to use..Many times I end up changing how the quilt will be constructed while working..

bearisgray 06-27-2012 05:14 PM

I've learned to make one to four blocks before going any further.
The first one to see if a) I understood the directions and/or b) the instructions were correct (they are sometimes wrong)

I like to make at least four blocks to see if there might be a potential secondary pattern developing - sometimes it's good - sometimes it's 'interesting'

I frequently go by the 'let's see what happens' method of making tops