Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-t271338.html)

sandy l 10-23-2015 03:26 AM

I remember making a teal blue double knit polyester pants suit back in the 60's and I literally had to beat the crease into the pants:)

Daylesewblessed 10-23-2015 05:08 AM

I agree with the reasons listed so far, but I also don't like polyester for piecing, because it doesn't ease or stretch the same as cotton.

bearisgray 10-23-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 7353312)
I agree with the reasons listed so far, but I also don't like polyester for piecing, because it doesn't ease or stretch the same as cotton.

I learned - the hard way - that if the pieces are the correct size to start with, that easing and stretching do not need to be done as much.

I was using templates that were off by 1/8 of an inch. At that time, I thought that a purchased template "had to be right" - not so! So I was wondering why I almost always had to ease in a certain piece of the block! It never even occurred to me then that the pattern was off. By the way - crossgrain usually stretches more than lengthwise grain.

Pennyhal 10-23-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7353566)
By the way - crossgrain usually stretches more than lengthwise grain.

Thanks for saying that! I could never figure out why I got 1/8" stretch on a 6" piece...now I know why. I'll have to stabilizer the fabric better in the future.

Mariposa 10-23-2015 10:43 AM

I also agree with feline fanatic. I must be very careful and choosy with poly stuff. My skin can get a severe rash, along with possible blistering. Hence, I love cottons!

MaryKatherine 10-24-2015 02:44 AM

if you consider when poly blends came on the market, most people were handquilting? I think poly was harder to use in that instance.

quilttiger 10-24-2015 03:55 AM

I learned the hard way it is best not to mix cottons with polyesters/poly blends in the same top......especially for quilts that will be washed (lap quilts, table runners, placemats, for example). The difference also shows up during FMQ. However, artistic wall hangings do well with different fabrics and textures.

mom-6 10-24-2015 04:46 AM

In regards to the poly/cotton blend question about how it ages, in the mid 60s I used a poly/cotton fabric for the sashing on embroidered and crayoned blocks from the 30s. The background muslin deteriorated from age and use after about 25 -30 years (sometime in the 90s) the poly/cotton sashing was still good.

sewbizgirl 10-24-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 7353229)
I remember making a teal blue double knit polyester pants suit back in the 60's and I literally had to beat the crease into the pants:)

I suppose this is why we saw so many 'sewn' creases... a tiny topstitch right next to the fold.

sewbizgirl 10-24-2015 06:32 AM

We use what we like, discovered through trial and error. I love cotton fabrics. I just don't love the feel or behavior of poly or poly blends. However, my favorite batting is Hobbs 80/20, 20 percent polyester. It still feels like cotton but is just a bit loftier and lighter. I love the weight and loft of it.