Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-t64158.html)

janb 09-11-2010 05:09 AM

Are fat quarters and other pre-cuts pre-washed? If not, dont they ravell when washed before using?

patricej 09-11-2010 05:27 AM

commercial vendors sell them unwashed, just as they do yardage.

and, just like yardage, they may fray or shrink when washed.

some quilters prewash by hand. i chuck fat quarters into the washer and dryer.

i don't prewash strips or charms. i would feel obligated to do it by hand and i'm just plain toooooo lazy for that. :lol:

judi wess 09-11-2010 05:46 AM

If they are going into a piece that will be washed several times over it's lifetime, washing is a good idea. I just put the smaller pieces, FQs and F8s into a lingerie bag and throw them into a perm press load. There is less thread mess this way.

retired2pa 09-11-2010 08:39 AM

I had a lot of fat quarters and had read somewhere that they should be washed before using...so I did. What a mess!!!! They were all tangled together and I had a heck of a time separating them, not to mention they had to be ironed and trimmed. I'll never do that again :) I guess that's just another quilting lesson learned...LOL

RedGarnet222 09-11-2010 08:44 AM

I just read somewhere that if you just pour hot water over it and wring it into a towel that is enough to shrink it. I haven't tried it, but it sounds easy enough.

I usually put them into a hand wash cycle, then into the dryer and deal with all the strings while I am pressing them. But, I might try this now that I am caught up with all the fabric washed in my stash now.

Prism99 09-11-2010 10:35 AM

I don't prewash unless I suspect a fabric might bleed, in which case I test it for bleeding first. Prewashing isn't necessary if, like me, you aren't allergic to the chemicals in the fabric, you like the old-fashionied crinkled look of a quilt, and your quilting lines are close together.

Quilting stabilizes fabrics and limits how much it shrinks. Harriet Hargrave showed us a quilt she made to prove this point. She used un-prewashed *flannel* (!) to make a quilt, machine-quilted it, then washed and dried it in machines. Aside from showing it to us (looked fabulous), she measured it before and after washing; because her machine quilting had stabilizes the fabric, it was virtually the same dimensions before and after washing.

I personally still pre-wash flannel, but that demo caused me to stop prewashing my other fabrics. Has saved me a ton of time!

MadQuilter 09-11-2010 10:43 AM

I soak the pieces then lay them on a towel and roll the towel up to partially dry. Then I finish it up with the iron. Works like a charm.

That said, I generally only prewash if it's for a swap or if the colors are intense and I don't trust them not to run.

Of course, if I start to wash ANY part of a project, I am a firm believer in consistency and I wash all of the fabric for that project.

littlehud 09-11-2010 03:13 PM

I don't wash mine. They just fray too much.

wvdek 09-11-2010 03:18 PM

What Patrice said.

CarrieAnne 09-11-2010 05:14 PM

I machine wash mine on the gentle cycle, they dont seem to get tangled as much!