Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question that's been bugging me... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-thats-been-bugging-me-t212002.html)

WTxRed 01-25-2013 06:31 PM

Question that's been bugging me...

I have one of those cushioned ironing pads... I use it alot when I'm pressing blocks instead of going to the utility room. Because of that, and I use starch consistently, the top of that ironing pad is Y U C K Y. so my question is how in the world do I clean it and get the starchy-oversprayed-dried-yucky-layer off of this?
I actually thought of tossing it and buying a new one simply because it looks bad... suggestions please?

Minmom3 01-25-2013 07:07 PM

Could you take it outside and shake the daylights out of it, and then wash it with a bunch of bath towels? Then hang it dry?

sewingsuz 01-25-2013 07:12 PM

Mine was like that also and just the other day I took the cover off and tossed it. This is my ironing board I am talking about so i will take some other fabric and make a new cover. I make a hem and leave it open a couple inches and put some small rope or twine in the casing and put it one the board and pull as tight as I can and tie in a knot. the covers at the store are not very good and they are expensive. Good luck to you.

Jackie Spencer 01-25-2013 08:03 PM

I have a piece of Plywood, I cover with batting and old sheets, that I place on top my ironing board, when Im sewing. I like the firmer surface for pressing blocks. when it gets yucky, I take it off and start over.

quiltingme 01-25-2013 08:06 PM

That's what I do, too. DH made me a board with bracing underneath so it won't slide around on top of my ironing board. Works great.

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5813908)
I have a piece of Plywood, I cover with batting and old sheets, that I place on top my ironing board, when Im sewing. I like the firmer surface for pressing blocks. when it gets yucky, I take it off and start over.

kitsykeel 01-25-2013 08:08 PM

I bought one of those small square ironing mats, I think June Tailor, at JoAnn's with 60% off coupon. It also has the cutting board on the reverse side. Really neat thing and I use it all the time. I noticed when I first started using it that it was getting some starch on the surface. Now I keep towel over it and change that every few days. Really keeps the top clean.

masufa 01-25-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel (Post 5813921)
I bought one of those small square ironing mats, I think June Tailor, at JoAnn's with 60% off coupon. It also has the cutting board on the reverse side. Really neat thing and I use it all the time. I noticed when I first started using it that it was getting some starch on the surface. Now I keep towel over it and change that every few days. Really keeps the top clean.

I have one of these and when it got funky I just put it under to running water and scrubed with a brush and some dish soap then rinsed it well, it came out like brand new and didn't hurt the cutting board side at all.

slk350 01-25-2013 08:53 PM

I make my own ironing board covers all the time and also the one for the big board I made. I don't do a lot of starching so they don't get too bad.

DOTTYMO 01-25-2013 11:31 PM

An old sheet or dare I say it a piece of fabric you purchased bu don't like or it is the wrong sort cover my ironing areas. Wrong sort could be poly, or heavy curtain fabrics etc.

Pauly43 01-26-2013 03:17 AM

I take an old sheet (double) and fold in quarters. Then stitch around the edges, so it comes out 1piece. Then I use it over my ironing board when I iron and spray starch. it can be flipped over to extend the use and when "yucky" - I throw it in the washer & dryer.